• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath Street Map

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Where would I be able to get a good map of Small Heath showing various 'Terraces' and 'Places'. For example Greenway Street. However on no map can I find where Totnes Place, Ladybird Terrace, Dartmouth Place, Leicester Terrace, Teignmouth Place, Christow Place, Berkeley Place, Mount Terrace etc etc.

Would such a map exist?

Cheers
Terry

Terry I would suggest you ask for a look up for Greenway St in a 'Kelly's' directory for the year you're interested in, it should give the names of the terraces, at least you'll know what house numbers they came between.

Nick

Greenway street Kelly's 1921
you can purchase Kelly's on disc from Tony @ Midland Historical Data if you are interested £11.99

Thanks for your quick replies.

Ragga.... I have the book.

I Have registered with Midlands Historical Data and looked at the Electoral Register for 1912 Greenway Street and have all the house numbers and all the various types of dwellings. i.e 1 back 35, 3 court 6,4 Christow Place etc etc and I have map of Greenway Street, but I want to know where these places and terraces are.

There must be a plan for the street some where in an archive.

Regards

Terry

I'm sure I found a street map a few years back when I went up to Central Library on the 6th floor (I know that doesnt help you at the mo cos its closed isnt it?)........it showed the area I was interested in (Bolton Road) in Small Heath, including the terraces. Hope you find one.........that book looks interesting, might have to try & find a copy.:)

Thanks again.

I will pop up the Central Library when it re-opens.

Below is Greenway Street from the 1903 Godfrey map

I've spent a bit of time comparing the Kelly's 1904 directory with the Godfrey map of 1905 map, and - although it's only guesswork, I think the attached will give you some idea of the location of the back terraces and places.
Peter

Peter - your post showing the terraces etc in Greenway Street was so useful. I have a birth certificate for my grandfather's half sister who was born at Kingston Place, Greenway Street, Aston (sub-district of Deritend) in 1872, and although I had found the street in my old A-Z, it is great to be able to see where Kingston Place was. Thanks very much.

I’ve managed to trace these place names in Greenway Street from the 1893 census, the numbers are for the houses in Greenway Street.

6-8 Ladybird Terrace
9-11 Leicester Terrace
16-18 Berkley Place
20-22 Mount Terrace
26-28 Hope Place
52 Curdworth Place
70-72 Totness Place
82-84 Dartmouth Place
94-96 Exmouth Place
106-108 Teignmouth Place
109-111 Kingston Place
117 119 Northern Place
118 Cariston Place

Did the house numbers start at '1' at the Coventry Rd end of Greenway Street? Which side was the odd numbers?

Terry

Stocktons bakery was No 8, so from the Coventry Rd the numbers started and the evens was on the Left hand side.

Hi folks,

although living in Greenway Street for over 20 years, I never heard
anyone refer to their houses as ever being in "So & So"terrace, it was
always " back of". It was only thanks to the Godfrey Map that I found out that we had lived in Ladybird Terrace ! I have to take issue with the info
that Peter has given ( The terraces have been transposed to the WRONG
side of the street ) We lived at 3/6 Ladybird Terrace & this was on the
opposite side of the street. I think it is perhaps whether you regard the left side of the street as North or South, I can never work out how you are supposed to KNOW which is North or South...I have trouble with left & right most days !!!
Keep these good posts about Small Heath coming.....
Regards,
Margaret.

I walked past your house every day to get to Stocktons when I worked in the Motorbike shop in Cattell Rd.

I can't argue about what was north and south of the street, I was only copying what was in the directory, and I've found before that they can get their bearings wrong. You can never rely completely on maps or directories, but they are still jolly interesting and I think you can learn a lot from them.
Peter

M Evans with early maps it is difficult at first sight with some to tell which way is which because they were not always made up so that north was up. In the Kellys directories the streets are sectioned into sides and it says Whatever Street North or Thingymajig Road South (PLEASE DONT LOOK THESE UP they were slum areas cleared in the sixties :D) So when look ups are undertaken with maps or directories our happy band of volunteers can only bring to the table what is printed, unless they have personal knowledge of the area in question.

Hi Terry,
If you access mapseeker.co.uk
Genealogy Map Resources
Select Historical Atlas of Birmingham
Several of the plans cover Small Heath, you can drill down to the segment levels and view the detail
In time all streets and places will be listed so that searches can be performed, zooming in to the segment containing the search, other old Birmingham plans will be added soon
Regards
Paul

I have some very old OS maps of Greenway Street, Small Heath. When I retire in October 2009 I will take some time out to look for you. Send me a reminder.

Hi Terry,
Thankyou for your reply, look forward to seeing the old maps of Small Heath.
In terms of meeting up, I will be at Waterstones for the launch of my book - Birmingham - A History In Maps on October 29th at 5pm. (Where there will be an exhibition of the Birmingham historic maps from October). Also at Borders Books in the Bull Ring for book signing on Saturday 28th November at 1pm.
All the very best for your forthcoming retirement
Paul

Back