• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Small Heath and Sparkbrook Station

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The station opened in 1863 and is still there on Golden Hillock Road (left). It orginally, and primarily, served the Birmingham Small Arms factory on Armoury Road. The station once had 4 platforms. Perhaps the gateway to the right on the B&W photo was an entrance to those platforms ? If so they're now closed off by a brick wall.

Screenshot_20240820_063703_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240820_171510_Maps.jpg

Viv
yet another location i worked on with Norton Whitburn Group
i only worked on ticket office for a couple of weeks this is in the the 70s
post the Convent job
our site huts were sited on the other side of the tracks so we crossed the tracks often
we had a watchman with a flag letting us know when it was safe to cross
no health and safety in them days
as i was to find out when i got glass in my eye while reglazeing the booking office windows staight of to eye hospital and when i got back i was given same job again removing the old glass
No Goggles

The title of this thread is most satisfying. The original name of the station, Small Heath and Sparkbrook is important to me and, maybe others. It brings back memories of GWR and all it stood for. The other side of Golden Hillock Road on the corner of Anderton Road was where we train spotters sat on the shiny black bricks of the bridge train spotting. Precarious perhaps but before the days of health and safety. We thought it was healthy taking in all of that smoke and steam. There's at least one member of the forum who'll have the same memories as I've seen his photos on this site.

Back