• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silk and terry printers

alanfisher202

master brummie
My Grandfather (John Fisher) he died in 1964 aged 93 was a printer who worked for Silk and Terry's, just on the off chance I am wondering if there may be records somewhere which may mention him.

There's an article on Silk & Terry in "More Birmingham Mermories" pages 126 to 131 published by True North Books - ISBN1903204801 and it includes a few photographs, though no mention of a John Fisher.

Here's their current contact details:-

Warstock Road, BIRMINGHAM, B14 4RS
0121 474 2295

though they appear to have their own website - www.silkandterry.co.uk - it doesn't load and I haven't got an email address for them. However, if any past personnel records have survived, they would be your first port of call. Try the phone number.

Maurice

Thanks for your reply Maurice,I will give them a ring on Monday,you never know, he may be mentioned in their records (if they have any) I will also mention the problem with the E-MAIL too.

Alan:

They seemed to have at least one subsidiary and a pension/investment company which hadn't traded for some time and were being struck off the Companies House registry accoding to the London Gazette. But I can't find any mention of the Company going into liquidation and they were certainly still trading in 1994 when that article was written. It's possible that they have been taken over and are trading under a different name. Certainly they moved from printing into computer typesetting in recent years.

Maurice

The latest bit of news on this business is a meeting on Christmas Eve this year to consider further proposals from the Administrator of Impress Design and Print trading from Silk and Terry House. Here's the page in the London Gazette:-

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60364/pages/24667

There's also another entry in 2006 about the bankruptcy of Martin Richard Hoare trading as Silk and Terry.

The Administrator in my reference above may be able to tell you if there are staff records remaining to which they would allow access, but accountants do like to charge for their services!

Maurice

Back