• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shop token

maryt

knowlegable brummie
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but while I was looking for something else (it is always the way, isn't it?) I came across a 3d token made by "T. Tollett, Check Maker, 1 Caroline Street, St. Paul's" and on the reverse "E.J. White, Family Grocer, Moseley Road". Does anyone know what this is please?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but while I was looking for something else (it is always the way, isn't it?) I came across a 3d token made by "T. Tollett, Check Maker, 1 Caroline Street, St. Paul's" and on the reverse "E.J. White, Family Grocer, Moseley Road". Does anyone know what this is please?. These kind of tokens were to be redeemed at the shop, E.J. White, Family Grocer, Moseley Road to the value of 3d, they were given to people on parish relief instead of cash so they could only be used to get food at the shop named. Len.

Thanks Len. That really helps as it seems to confirm a part of the family I wasn't sure about. How strange that it was never spent though, as it must have been worth a great deal.

Back