• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shop run by Harry Taylor

wilkesmaggie

knowlegable brummie
Can someone help with this? I spoke to my elderly Aunt last week and she remembers going to Uncle Harry's shop, possibly in Aston. And that he had a one-armed bandit in it. That's all I have to go on. I'm trying to find out if and when he married and who to. She was born 1924, so I presume we are talking any time from about 1929.
Maggie

In the 1929 directory there are two Harold, Cabinet maker, a Toy Dealer, there are Five Harry,s as Boot repairer, Leather seller, Draper, Garage, Jeweller,

Can someone help with this? I spoke to my elderly Aunt last week and she remembers going to Uncle Harry's shop, possibly in Aston. And that he had a one-armed bandit in it. That's all I have to go on. I'm trying to find out if and when he married and who to. She was born 1924, so I presume we are talking any time from about 1929.
Maggie

Thanks for that. He was born Harry, so that lets out the first two. As for the other five, I can't think any of them would have a one-armed bandit in the shop, and that's what my Aunt remembers most.
Maggie

hi there
the harry taylor you want is harry taylor the toy dealer and you can find him at lichfield rd aston he had a huge toy shop
you name it he had it toys models alsorts it was a kiddie paradise for every toy you could think of my old father took me in there many times as a kid
and bought me alot of things as i recall him he was a little dark haired guy i cannot recall much about the wife but there was a lady member working with
in the shop at this precise time i cannot recall the number of the shop we lived about four hundred yards from the shop up the terace of cromwell
terrace we was always glareing into his shop window as kids as kids do especialy on a sunday
his shop was about three doors from the corner of victoria rd aston the shop next door was a clothes shop i remember saving my pocket money
and buying a couple bags of marleys from him and he used to sell themloose as well he had the penny machine in the shop
i think grand dads shop [ coffee shop was 139 lichfield rd and he mr taylor was on the opersite side of the rd he would have been about 100 yards from
barnetts the wine sellers ; i recall him distintly old mr taylorthe man with the kids paradise if you could afford to buy from lewis,s in the city
the same toys they had from him he had got them , he was a very nice man ; n fact they was a very well liked couple and he wouldgve yo the time of day
for conversation ; there was a zebra crssing ut side is shp n theichield rd he was knwn to kidsand pepeas we all called him uncle harry ;
best wishes Astonian;

Thank you, Astonian
As usual someone always has the answer I'm looking for. I shall go back to my Aunt and ask more questions now. You're a star!:triumphant:
Maggie

HI MAGGIE
ITS My peasure i would just like to had that in the early yeas of the fprty and fifty harry did stock afew other irems as i recall becuse on my first
vist when i walked down along to the shop i seem to recall my dad had to buy some hink for our house i cannot remember the item
he purchased but it was an house hold item and it was when i walked into the shop i seen the arm bandit placed betwen the front door and it was in the middle of the shop betwen the door and the side counter is counter was an l shaped counter andthe exit to the back of the shop quarters was
directly facing the front shop door it was packed to the heavens i remembermr taylorsearching high and low for the item and he went out into the back to get what dad wanted but is shop was chopper block with high clas toys you name it he had got it but also mom was on his christmas card saving club ;
as i also recall going with her to pay the last payment on christmas eve and collecting our toys she got us from him ;as our christmas goodies ;
he did have abit of a high front section on his counter as i also recall i also i think it was evans shop in pugh rd up around the corner she got afew more things on the saving card for christmas best wishes Alan ASTONIAN

Back