• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shool exercise book

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
We are having a lot of refurbishment done at the college and I found this old exercise book at the bottom of an old school cupboard.

The back relates to road safety - check out number 4..... Be honest, how many of us used to jump off the bus platform before the bus stopped?

Does anyone have a copy of one of there school exercise books that used to have all of the old length's and measurements on the back cover - rods, poles, perch, furlong, etc? If so, can you please post a copy? Mabz

hi mabz..well we used to jump off before the bus stopped and jump on as it was pulling away...mind you i probably could not to either now...lol...hope someone has an old book stashed away..i remember them well...

lyn

I was caned for defacing the back of my School book. we used the smaller book for spelling. Not my best subject as you may have noticed.

Being 'really cool' was hanging on the rail and dropping off backwards as the bus approached the stop , then as you landed you ran a few steps forward to recover your balance & then veered of onto the pavement & calmly walked away,

lol izzy you little tinker...rob i had forgotton all about the little spelling books we had...i can see them now..

lyn

Being 'really cool' was hanging on the rail and dropping off backwards as the bus approached the stop , then as you landed you ran a few steps forward to recover your balance & then veered of onto the pavement & calmly walked away,

Yes i remember it well get it wrong a you would be flat on your face. Dek

Lyn - I remember running after the inner circle 8 as it moved off from the bus stop in Nursery Road heading for Aston. I managed to grab the hand rail and get one foot onto the platform.

Unfortunately I didn't have the momentum to get my second foot onto the bus. All I could do was scoot along with the bus until it slowed down at the next bus stop.............. It must have looked hilarious to those watching? Mabz

I have read recently that there is a move to make the new Rout-master bus opened deck at the rear.The trouble is you would have to go back to having a driver and a conductor.
I can not recall my school books ever having the old measurements on the back cover but those from Woolworths with the red cover did.

Yes Keith i remember them well with all the measurements on the back page and the school allowed you to cover them with wall paper all those 50s patterns,some were coverd with brown paper god knows what their house looked like lol

Mau-reece

Just off topic do you remember that coverd chain the conducter used to put across when the bus was full it had a hook at the end well we used to put the chain in some ones pocket so as they jumped off the bus at the Ivy Bush it ripped there pocket off, a bit silly now when you think about it

Mau-reece

I left Handworth Tech when I was 15, then 5 years night school at Aston Tech, thought I had finished with school books, then the RAF grabbed me and sent me to one of their schools. I've just looked through one book I saved for some reason. It deals with aircraft instuments and there is not a transistor to be seen anywhere in it, all valves and big coils. Funny how some of us keep things of no use...

Gosh that takes me back and covering them with wallpaper,jumping of the bus before we reached the stop that was the joy of those buses when you were young,very dangerous, but you never thought of that,the joys of being a kid

takes me back too liz..used the spare paper from the living room for me science book..english got the kitchen..maths the bedrooms......only trouble was everyone knew how your house was decorated lol...

Thanks for making me laugh my old mate Maur-reece. I can just imagine you doing that.......

This thread is bringing back so many memories. I remember writing the names in psychodelic letters of the pop groups on my wall papered books - The Who, The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Easy Beats, The Move, Them, etc, etc.

No wonder why I always failed my exams...........................

Found two of mine Mabbs but are not the ones you are looking for. They are two I did projects in. Sorry. Jean. PS No come back so far on the School Badges. I know Dorothy will keep trying for you. Jean.

takes me back too liz..used the spare paper from the living room for me science book..english got the kitchen..maths the bedrooms......only trouble was everyone knew how your house was decorated lol...
It was nice if they asked where you bought it, lol

When my brother went to Handsworth Grammer some of the lads ripped his maths book up and flushed it down the loo. Probably jealous as he was always top in most things. Jean.

When my brother went to Handsworth Grammer some of the lads ripped his maths book up and flushed it down the loo. Probably jealous as he was always top in most things. Jean.

It might have been that they didn't like the wall paper Jean????????? Mabz

my hubby has been up in the loft and found these two exercise books with the measurements in ....

my hubby has been up in the loft and found these two exercise books with the measurements in ....

Shera - those exercise-book 'tables' takes me back....many a time the information saved me from disgrace!
icon12.png

I wonder why they aren't used now? I mean, it doesn't cost anything more; and they are packed with useful information. Probably too simple an idea these days.

Back