• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shakespeare pub...

The only 'Shakespeare Inn' old pub in Brum I can find (so far) is on Winson Green Rd. A photo I've seen shows a similar looking building but taken from the road crossing the pic in #24. I think tracing the D.P.Hall premises may give a better clue to the location.

Last edited:
The two views of pubs in the composite image below appear to show the same building.
The view in the right pic is taken from the road behind the pub in the left pic.
1) Lintels over upper windows look the same.
2) Upper windows look the same.
3) Lower windows etc look the same.
4) Street lights look the same.
samepubs.jpg
If correct the left pic looks along Heath Street and the right pic looks along Winson Green Road.

Last edited:
If agreed that it is the same building, perhaps my post #13 and all posts after it can be moved to the thread link below which was a thread started by Lyn in 2015 looking for a photo of the Shakespeare Pub (Inn) ... :)

i agree phil...and both ansells pubs and same design houses...look at the little arch above the doors in both photos....i would say thats sorted

lyn

I had my doubts at first, but think that that is correct, as it seems to agree with the c1955 map (except for the church), which, as you can see, had gone by the mid 1970s

map 1970s showing junction Heath St & winson green road..jpgmap c1955 showing junction Heath St & winson green road..jpg

The two views of pubs in the composite image below appear to show the same building.
The view in the right pic is taken from the road behind the pub in the left pic.
View attachment 135370
If correct the left pic looks along Heath Street and the right pic looks along Winson Green Road.
The first picture is the Shakespeare Inn but the second is not. Here is a picture courtesy of Sally Marie Curtis from c1900 showing the pub from the front.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1721556936881.jpg
    FB_IMG_1721556936881.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 135370
The first picture is the Shakespeare Inn but the second is not. Here is a picture courtesy of Sally Marie Curtis from c1900 showing the pub from the front.

Back