• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shakespeare pub...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks im looking for a photo of the shakespeare pub heath st ladywood...im sure ive seen one before...

many thanks for any help

lyn

Lyn

Are we talking about the Shakespeare in Heath St, Winson Green? If so I have never seen a photo of the pub, if I had I would have added it to my collection.

Lyn

Are we talking about the Shakespeare in Heath St, Winson Green? If so I have never seen a photo of the pub, if I had I would have added it to my collection.

we are indeed phil...im sure ive seen one somewhere but i could be wrong...i was told it was on the left hand side of the street but i guess that depends on which way you are coming from lol...actually if mike sees this he may post us a map marking out the exact position of the pub..

lyn

The Shakespeare was at 100-102 Heath St, at the junction with Winson Green Road as shown below in red on the c 1889 map.

map_c_1889_showing_Shakespeare_inn2C_Heath_St.jpg

thanks mike i thought it was at the junction i still think i have a pic of this pub somewhere...will have to go through my files..

lyn

Hi Lyn
Many years ago you could have walked in and seen mossy and co and myself drinking in there at at the Shakespeare
It was our regular.haunt I myself had spent many a late night lock in with the gather with some well known business man
Of brum but I can not name him as you know well his surname is first name was Russell
And secondly my girl friend sheila at the time lived directly oppersite the pub bar entrance and mossy is an old friend of mine and my mate
Micky whom lived across the road from the Shakespeare and Micky and mossy was like blood brothers sadly Mikey died some years ago
And may I had we had a friend called tony whom got a job behind the bar there and one weekend we had a group of plonkers come in
He asked for the glass and he got it in his face we never new those guys but recognised them on the Christmas period
When two walked into the lee bridge taveren down the red from the Shakespeare and then all hell broke loose
We kicked off
On the subject of which side its on ,well come from dudley red either from north rook street end or from summer field park end
Which still is dudley red from dudley red walking from the park its on your right hand if from the northbrook end of dudley red and the same side as the leebridge taverenand down its on your left walk up winson green from the nick and hansworth its on your left
The number 11 bus Stops on Winston green red just yards from heath street and the pub is on the corner of heath street your left hand side
Of the traffic lights coming from windmill lane onto heath street walking down heath street its on your right
I just hope mossy as picked up on this thread as I am sure he will put an input
Best wishes Alan Astonian,,,,,,

Lyn

I'm not sure, but I think this may be the Shakespeare. Perhaps someone who used it could say yes or no to it.

Attachments

• Winson Green, Winson Green Rd Nr Heath St .jpg
    Winson Green, Winson Green Rd Nr Heath St .jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 73
oh crikey phil..looking at mikes map post 5 it does not look right to me...think we need some help

lyn

Hi Lynn
The picture showing is the Shakespeare the photo shot is Winston green road coming down from summer field road
And the first door you enter is the smoke room or the snugg what ever you choose to call it but we know it as the smoke room
That is the The Junction of Winson green road and heath street the white shop you see passed the pub and the traffic lights was a guy from Slade road erdinton
Off the lichfield road by Tyburn red he had several shops originally it was owned by an Asian family whom sold it to him
Rest assured that is the pub we are on about Alan Astonian,,,

Lyn

It looks right to me, and it's the corner of Winson Green Rd & Heath St, but as you say it could be tagged wrong as it's just cropped from a street scene and doesn't mention the pub at all.

You can rest assured that is the Shakespeare pub heath street the picture taken from some one walking down Winston green red
We was drinkers in there mossy and myself and our best mate Micky lived next door to those shops around the corner and the bus stop stopped out side there front windows if you cannot wait for mossy let's hope some one else from the green whom are member are on this forum
I will round up the locals to get there post on Alan,,,,,,,

Lyn

It looks right to me, and it's the corner of Winson Green Rd & Heath St, but as you say it could be tagged wrong as it's just cropped from a street scene and doesn't mention the pub at all.

thanks phil you are right then.. its just me with maps...not very good at finding my round them lol..well done for finding this pic and thanks alan for confirming its the shakespeare...

lyn

Last edited:
Looking at the map on #5, if the road running north south is Winson Green Road then, that being so, the road on the right is, indeed Heath Street, (I didn't know the pub was called The Shakespeare).

I remember, me and Our Kid, with Our Dad, in the 1940s, in our Sunday Best, getting off the bus on Dudley Road, en route to Our Gran's in Norman Street, stopping off at that pub.

Looking back, I think Dad was meeting his cousin in there, leaving us waiting outside. I do remember that a freezing wind blows up Winson Green Road, and we would stand there, freezing in our short trousers and long socks.

When I was a young boy about 1976 a friend of mine in my class at st Stephen's in Nineveh Rd had his 10th birthday party there, I believe his dad ran the pub at that time

Hi maypole
Yes it was a great pub for a drink we spent many hours after time most nights and week end nights
But only the selected few we was allowed with afew other customers
Mossy was worki g at Barker and Allen on shift work so he could not do much in the week becasuse of his work comitments regardcing late night drinking
My mate was micky and he was mossys old mate ,and he lived directly on the cornerof Heath street facing the shakespear the bus stop was right out sdide his mothers front window
When the bus pulled up to pick pasangers at the bus stop people on the top deck used to stare down into the livingroom whilst he was eating or watching abit of telly
I recall norman street i knew alot of people and friends down thast street as like most streets of the green
One was well known as big Ronnie i think it was sandra his sister
And a mate next to the little shop therehis name was Patrick, he married a girl from barford road her name was patricia
Good old daysof Heath street the Lee Bridge taveren and the down stairs Lounge
My very first pint in my life was at the bottom of Heath street spon lane
and it was mild whilst my friends drank the bitter, and i can tell you they could put those pints away but you will not catch me drinking that rubbish now i am a brandy man
Take care best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Phils picture is the same as one that was posted on Facebooks Winson Green site in Feb 2015 and it was called The Shakespeare. I have copied and pasted the posters dialogue.

"The Shakespeare pub... Not sure of the year of this picture .. But I lived on the other side of it, Heath St early 70s. With my 8 bros and sisters, and our Mom and Dad.. I would love to see any other pictures of the Shakespeare.. Fond memories
1f49b.png
"

Terry

Given that I posted the photo on here in January just a month before and it appeared on Facebook and given the fact it was a cropped version of a street scene (attached) so if the photo was the same then it was copied from here. So it is only the fact that the Facebook poster can verify that it is indeed the Shakespeare and not by virtue of the fact he found it complete tagged as the Shakespeare. Is it possible a copy of the un-cropped version or a different photo? Winson Green Rd 1972.jpg

Phil and terry
There is another version and side view of the shakespere pub which was taken and is in fact on the winson green site only its a long shot down heath street coming from dudley road end
Facing down Heath Street
And your version as been on here many years ago before now and i think it was phil
Whom put it on ,i done abit of thread years ago on the shakespere
Before it was shanged hied from the forums along with the pictures
This is the best of the two shots Terry B, incident,y which side of Heath street did you live
Was you next to that little shop close to tne corner
Not the one which is in full view in white by the traffic lights but the next one to it
I have a terry in mind whom lived there and i beleived he married a girl afe yards further
Along the heath street i am trying to think of the family whom bought the big shop on the corner
When they bought that big shop on the corner the people sold foriegn foods
Veg and it took off they had another shop and a house down slade road aston
The lad was a nice kid a tall lad i just cannot think of his name at the moment but it wil
Come back to me my friends and mossys friends as i said just yards from that corner
On that side of heath street you will probasly know them at the bus stop
So you wil recall old man at the junk shop just after the cafe in view
With his green sheilds stamp books
Best wishes Astonian,,,

my husbands mom and dad ran the shakespeare pub around early 70's their name was maureen and christopher coffey they had 7 children has ben really great reading all you stories

welcome to the forum d coffey...nice to have someone else on here who has an interest in this pub....a friend of my brothers lived near the pub...family name hannigan...

all the best

lyn

Hi Coffey
I can recall them nice couple also my old friends we all all drank in there regular
Most nights of the week including our dear old forum friend mossy
Whom was a close friend of mind called midnight ,and I know mossy will know
Whom he is and whom i am reffering to
My friends and girl friend lived right oppersite the back room door
Across the street directly facing the pub
And one of our dear old friend whom was close to us worked for them as a bar person,
His cnristian name was Tony, wnen they took over
Good old days,
Coffey, i hope you do not mind me asking you abit personal question
But did any of your fathers family ever lived in springfield street during the fiftys/sixtys
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

I've often looked at this pic (dated 1966) which is tagged Wheeler Street and shows a pub on the corner of a traffic-light controlled junction. Although the name of the pub is not definitely clear it looks to me like 'The Shakespeare Inn'. See enlargement in the second pic. The street is slightly at an angle on the other side of the junction but Wheeler Street appears straight on old maps. The distant view shows the street apparently sloping downwards towards large factory buildings with a tall one on the right. The street is on a bus route.

Earlier posts state that there were several pubs in Wheeler Street with one being the Shakespeare Inn but not shown on a corner.
ShakesphereInn.jpg

pubname.jpg

Last edited:
dont think its the shakespeare alan think that pub is nearer the top of the street it you look at mikes map the shakespeare is near the bottom where wheeler st meets gt king st ..if it is wheeler st and i have my doubts at the min that could be the lucas factory and i think i can see some flats as well..wheeler st starts at lozells road and starts quite a decline..

Last edited:
Cannot be the Shakespeare as the photo is at a crossroads. Do not believe it is Wheeler St, as, on the right, diagonally opposite the pub it looks like the first building is set back from the buildings further on and cannot see this in wheeler st on the c1951 map, though I admit that this photo is a bit later than that, but would not think that this is likely to have altered in that time

i agree mike its definately not wheeler st...ive also been looking at photos of wheeler st taken at the same time as this one and the the street lighting is completely different

lyn

thanks john so its a gasometer then...here is me thinking it was flats lol:rolleyes:....i noticed the barbers shop as well...DP HALL? on the building on the other corner may help with a kellys look up...thanks john

lyn

So we have a pub which is definitely on a corner and it appears to have the name 'The Shakespeare Inn' although I'm unable to 100% resolve the words.

The premises on the opposite corner named D.P.Hall but I'm not too sure about the gasometer. I cannot resolve the horizontal text on the bus stop which may have indicated the route. The continuation of the street on the other side of the junction at a slight angle and downhill in the distance.

I like the way the dogs on the footpath are watching the world go by .... :)

Last edited:
Back