• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Selly Park Tavern

Lemonella

master brummie
After working at the Sir Harry pub I went to the Selly Park Tavern to earn extra money for Christmas. Anyone work there or drink in there in the 70s?

I used it two or three times at the most in the 1960's to be quite honest I didn't think much of it as a pub, I much preferred The Highbury and the Dogpool.

Selly Park Tavern Pershore Rd .jpg

I used it two or three times at the most in the 1960's to be quite honest I didn't think much of it as a pub, I much preferred The Highbury and the Dogpool.

View attachment 136461
It must have improved by the 70s then. We lived up the road from the Dogpool and it looked like quite a rough place. The Selly Park was frequented by the police as the training centre was near and they had regular musicians who played there. It was a big pub with lots of staff.

Lemonella

The pub in the photo is the Selly Park Tavern, looking on Google I don't think it has changed a bit since I last visited it in the 1960's. They may have tidied it up a little, but it still looks the same. As you say back in the 60's the Selly Park might have been sedate and refined, but I wasn't one for quiet and respectable pubs the rougher the better there was more life in them. I'm not saying that I think that way today, but even today I don't stay long if the pub is too quiet.

I went to someone's Stag do there in the early 70s, it was held in a concert room above the pub. Another person present on the night was the actor Paul Henry (Benny in Crossroads) with whom I had quite a conversation and was a thoroughly likeable chap. My only visit to that establishment I'm afraid.

Back