• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Searching for plot - Handsworth Cemetery

Laurajadeb

Brummie babby
Hello, I have been searching for the grave of my great grandmother today at Handsworth cemetery based on the burial information I have but no luck. I have found a map of the cemetery plots from another post in this forum but I can’t seem to confirm which area her grave could be in.

My great grandmother is Susan Mabel Holt and she died in 1943, I’ve attached the burial info. I tried looking for plots of the same year but no luck. I don’t fully understand what the square and class means on the burial information or what the ‘a’ means under the ‘consecrated’ column means.

Any help or insights would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7032.jpeg
    IMG_7032.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0981.webp
    IMG_0981.webp
    68.9 KB · Views: 7
No it says "reop" in one of the columns.
Also, there may not be a gravestone so check the numbers on any stones in the area. The grave number is usually on the back of upright stones. You may then need to work out which way the numbers go and possibly "count spaces".
Let us know how you get on please.

If you are able to go in the week you might find workmen who will help. When I went (several years ago) they were trimming the grass and helped me look.

Back