• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scribers Lane, Hall Green-Ford & Printers

svrman

knowlegable brummie
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here so I hope this is in the right place.

Does anyone have any information on the small printing business that was just up from the ford in Scribers Lane, near the shop corner--I think it was probably closed in the 70s. The owner (alf?) may have previously worked at The Institute Works which was near by.

Can anyone tell me when the road was closed by turning each end into a cul de sac. I can remember people washing their cars in the ford on Sundays in the 60s.

Great pic here https://80.249.57.37/cs/Satellite?c...240197390&pagename=BCC/Common/Wrapper/Wrapper
(Link appears to be broken)
Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
It was closed some years back. As for that site saying it was due to cars not making it through - as I recall the story was actually that the council decided it was too costly to keep it repaired properly. My late in laws lived not far from there and it was on my regular bike run as a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was unusual in that it was a long passage through the ford, not as narrow as most fords, so i think several cars discovered the 'Prince of Darkness' esp if they were a bit heavy with the right foot.

A 29a Bus nearly made it one day but was stopped by the railway bridge-marks are still there!

Back