• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

School Songs

sylviasayers

master brummie
Did you have music/singing classes at school, a couple spring to mind - Bobby Shafto went to sea with silver buckles on his knee...
The Ashgrove
Lass of Richmond Hill - can't remember any of the words of this.

Sylvia. Not really a song, more of a poem - is that allowed? It went something like " Old Meg she was a gypsy and lived upon the moors.

GERVAN:

Here is the poem Meg Merrilees by John Keats. My poetry book had a fearsome picture of Meg dressed as the poem descibes. Fascinating to me.

Meg Merrilees.
By Keats, John .

Old Meg she was a Gypsy,
And lived upon the Moors:
Her bed it was the brown heath turf,
And her house was out of doors.

Her apples were swart blackberries,
Her currants pods o' broom;
Her wine was dew of the wild white rose,
Her book a churchyard tomb.

Her Brothers were the craggy hills,
Her Sisters larchen trees -
Alone with her great family
She lived as she did please.

No breakfast had she many a morn,
No dinner many a noon,
And 'stead of supper she would stare
Full hard against the Moon.

But every morn of woodbine fresh
She made her garlanding,
And every night the dark glen Yew
She wove, and she would sing.

And with her fingers, old and brown,
She plaited Mats o' Rushes,
And gave them to the Cottagers
She met among the Bushes.

Old Meg was brave as Margaret Queen,
And tall as Amazon:
An old red blanket cloak she wore;
A chip-hat had she on.
God rest her aged bones somewhere -
She died full long agone!

WE had one, it was
The boy stood on the burning deck.
his pocket full of crackers
a spark flew up his trouser leg....

It never had a proper ending, any suggestions, send to me on the back of a ten pound note.
best answer wins 50p.

Jennyann. I would never have remembered all the words to "Old Meg" and certainly not who by. You are far better than I am Jenny.
I cannot remember if we sang it at school but "Green Sleeves" was amonst the favorites of years ago.

GER22VAN:
My memory for things like music and such is good. Why...I haven't a clue. Other things I can't remember as well. I used to like singing classes very much and may be that is why I remember the songs we used to sing at all three schools I attended. My brother Peter also liked singing and he had a textbook of British School Songs from KE Five Ways and I spent a lot of time learning the words of the songs in this book which were, of course, traditional British songs. I particularly remember "Green Grow the Rushes O" and "Cherry Ripe" from this book.

Jennyann. What is life without a song, life would be so dreary.
I for one has turned to a song to get me out of a rut.
" All Things Bright And Beautiful " sung in Miss Hackett's class 2nd year at Saint Matthews School, those were the days.

School Choir

Does anyone remember the choir that was made up of children from Birmingham schools and put on a concert in Birmingham Town Hall. We all sat in the seats under the large organ pipes. We were all dressed in our Sunday best, white shirts for the boys with ties and the girls in white blouses, we did look smart. At the time I went to Foundry Road school (Winson Green) and I remember we were sat behind children of St Silas school from Lozells. We sang a lot of well known school songs such as Rock a bye baby,Annie Laurie etc, but the one that sticks in my mind to this day is an Irish song called Phaudhrig Crohoore and it went like this :-

Oh Phaudhrig Crohoore was a broth of a boy
And he stood 6 foot 8
And his arm was as round as another mans thigh
Tis Phaudhrig is Great...... and so on

The conductors name was Mr Halfpenney, it must have ben about 1950.

Does it ring any bells?

Just to please Sylvia, we had a young girl in the junior school who sang beautifully, one of her favourites was 'Who is Sylvia'. E:)

Claribel, we have had mentions in the past on the Forum about the
children's choir concerts at the Town Hall that took place on an annual basis for some years. Our school Fentham Girls practised for weeks before going
to an actual event. It was very exciting and I can remember one song
in particular called "The Steiner Cuckoo" Everyone yodelling along.

I was in our school choir at Arthur Terry School Sutton Coldfield. In 1965 we were to appear in songs of praise at Bishop Veasey Grammar School. The rehersals were on Sunday afternoon's for six weeks. I think we only attended because we thought we would be famous! I remember watching the programme at my aunts who, we were visiting when it was broadcast. The whoops of delight from my Mom when my face appeared in black and white on the screen.............:Aah:

Claribel, I too was in the choir at the town hall. I represented Loxton Street, and did it on more than one occasion. I used to enjoy it, and thought of it as something special. Barry.

Eric when I was a girl I was always plagued by that song "Who is Sylvia".

JennyAnn, I loved that poem Meg Merrilees thanks for posting the words, I remembered a bit of it - I had the mistaken memory that it was by Walter de la Mare, don't know why.

I still have the record our school choir made at Riland Bedford in sutton Coldfield. I often wonder how many of them have survived ;)

My brothers went to Ryland Bedford........... they are older than me. I went to the new school! I can't imagine either of them in a choir though

Wendy.........it was when the girls and the boys were in seperate sides of the school;) So it was an all girls choir:)

I realised that, just wondered if there was a boys choir as well:D:D:D

Back