• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saturday Sweet Van Shard End 1950's

Shardendken

Lapsed Brummie
Does anyone remember the large sweet van that used to tour the Shard End estate? The back of the van had a tailgate that you could step onto and and then stand inside in front of a huge counter from which all manner of loose chocolate, honeycomb toffee and coconut ice could be selected, weighed and handed over in paper bags. Both sides of the van were stacked with shelves of various sweet jars and the whole rear of the van was lit up to view these delights. I remember the van being a regular Saturday evening treat in the late 1950's.

Does anyone remember the large sweet van that used to tour the Shard End estate? The back of the van had a tailgate that you could step onto and and then stand inside in front of a huge counter from which all manner of loose chocolate, honeycomb toffee and coconut ice could be selected, weighed and handed over in paper bags. Both sides of the van were stacked with shelves of various sweet jars and the whole rear of the van was lit up to view these delights. I remember the van being a regular Saturday evening treat in the late 1950's.
i remember a sweet van coming around in the 60s. might be the same one.

In the early 50s we moved onto a newly built estate in Sheldon. We had a similar vehicle coming round once or twice a week. This was a converted coach/charabanc and sold groceries, vegetables, cigarettes and sweets etc. 2oz of midget gems was my preferred choice when Mom could afford it :yum

Back