• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sarah Street, Birmingham B9

oldmangonewest

proper brummie kid
Hello

Does anyone have any pre-war photos of houses in Sarah Street, B9? I have some contemporary photos of the houses there currently - numbered 3 to 17 (excl 13!) - I wonder how old these are? I'm interested in number 20 in particular - I assume it must have been where the current grassed area is. Would it be possible to identify the house number from an old map even? Many thanks for looking.

In 1891, Brickyard House was situated there.
In 1911 there appears to be even numbers 2 to 34.
Number 2 was a social club.

Below is a map c 1970 which shows clearly (which is unusual) no 12 & 22. therefore no 20 is the house in red
Mike

map_c_1970_showing_no_20_Sarah_St.jpg

Thanks ever so much ladylinda and mikejee - absolutely brilliant. Looking at the triangle of land there as I did yesterday, I find it stunning that it enabled about 30 or so properties to be built!! I guess it was a hard ask if anyone had photos of the street but thanks for this information. I note that current numbers 3-17 existed in 1970 but I suppose they may have been much newer than those built on the triangle.

I have received this picture of a shop on the corner of Sarah St and Lower Dartmouth St. Can't make out too much detail but it's definatley Sarah St and looking in the direction of St Andrews.

Sarah_Street-Lower_Dartmouth_Street-Bordesley.jpg

I worked in lower dartmouth St between 1976-82 and at the time the shop featured in this photo had become a ladies hairdressers

Back