• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

saltley road

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i like this one...not sure if its been posted before..could anyone identify the building in the background please..

ashted service station.. dated 1954

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Lyn. Ive got a feeling it might be one of the four blocks of flats, Queens, Home, High or South Tower. Barry.

thanks bazz..and heres me thinking it was ansells brewery..lol...told you ive no sense of direction....

lyn

Dont take it as gospel yet Lyn, I might still be wrong. Lets wait and see what our other members think. Barry.

Hi,

I'm sure the building in the background belonged to Saltley Gas Works, it's pretty close to the gas basin on the left of the picture. When I was little I used to call them 'the big saucepans'. I think the building behind the billboard is the Sportsman Pub.

macca

Morning all,
It is the brewery in Cato St.
Map showing where photo was taken from, the garage was built on the site of an old theatre.

lol..i was not far out then when i said i thought it was ansells....knew it was something to do with drink...lol..

thanks all...

lyn

Hi Astoness

I think where the Ashted Service Station was is Nechells Place. Just checked on Google Street Map and if you look at 48 Cato Street North and 111 Nechells Place, I am sure you can see the building in question.

Regards Carol T

hi carol..you are quite right..nechells place it was..hope you like the pic...

cheers..

lyn

the building in the back ground is still there (just about its onn it,s last legs)its in Cato St North. Dek

Hi Lyn

I see you have got the almost complete answer, so I'm just tidying up a few loose ends.

The Garage on Saltley Rd was Ashted Coaches & Service Station and the scene of quite a few scuffles during the miners strike. See attached photo.

The Large building in the background in Cato Street North was at one time the Vale of Evesham Brewery I believe.

I worked in this building in the early 60's at that time it was something to do with the manufacture of prams because I worked in the tube bending shop where they made the handles for prams.

The photo of the building was taken last year when I was down that way.

Phil

CatoStNorth2Nov2008.jpg
NechellsAshtedServiceStnSaltleyRd1957-1.jpg

It may have been said already, but the site of this former garage was a theatre. The Carlton Theatre (opened 1900). It changed it's name in 1911 to the Birmingham Coliseum and in 1921 it became the Carlton cinema. That was demolished in 1940 and the site cleared for the garage as shown. My grandfather was a commisionaire, dressed in all his finery, at the Coliseum.

i like this one...not sure if its been posted before..could anyone identify the building in the background please..

ashted service station.. dated 1954

pic courtesy of carl chinn
The building belonged to a firm of shopfitters/carpenters.I think it has a preservation order on it. I think it was still in use in the 50s. the name Smiths rings a bell , it use to have a large sign on it on top building

morning barry..dont worry about it i am usually a country mile off my guesses lol...phil i didnt know that building was still there...as already said not for long by the looks of it...such a shame...

lyn

Back