• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

saltley road 1952

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..dont think ive posted this one before...

saltley road 1952..the station pub and goodrick road on the left...

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Lyn - that's an amazing photograph. I used to live in Cato Street North just past the bridge. On the left is a bus stop, my dad wouldn't get off the bus there, he would stand on the plarform at the rear of the bus and jump off nearer to the house............. Thanks for the memory Lyn. Mabz

happy to oblige mabz...i know you lived at one time in bloomsbury st but didnt know about cato st...stroke of luck for you this one....must say i like it...

lyn

Hi Mayfield

Have you seen this photo, its Cato St North c1956. It looks to be at the junction of Nechells Place.

I used to work in Cato St North c1963 at that big tall building that everybody photographs now. I worked in the tube bending shop I think the firm was called Chance's.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Cato St North 1956 .jpg
    Nechells Cato St North 1956 .jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
Great photograph Phil, one of the shops was a motor cycle shop if my memory serves me well?

Lyn - I went to Bloomsbury Street School but lived in Cata Street North. As you can see from the photograph our house in the shaddow of the building that Phil is talking about. On the photograph below, my house was next door to the house on the right (that house belonged to Mrs Hill). Mabz

i knew bloomsbury came into it somewhere mabz...thats a great pic you posted...see you wernt far from a pub then...lol

i knew bloomsbury came into it somewhere mabz...thats a great pic you posted...see you wernt far from a pub then...lol

LOL........ it was an outdoor actually Lyn. My dad used to send me to get a pint (could have been half a pint?) of Mild in a pop bottle from there - that is when I sampled my first sip of beer............... Mabz

This was taken off a previous thread on public houses. This photograph was taken opposite the one posted by Phil. Mabz

well that certainly is a pub mabz...lol..lol....yes i can remember our nan fetching a jug of ale from the geach arms pub.i reckon she had drunk most of it by the time she got hom..hic hic...thats another nice pic....

lyn

Mayfield

your photo of the Albion Vaults brought a smile to my lips, with outside benches can you imagine anybody wanting to sit outside there back in the 50's & 60's with the fragrant aroma of the gasworks over the road and the lorries & number 8 buses negotiating that junction.

Phil

Thats amazing. Directly under that bridge was number 80. And that is where i was born in 1939. My dads sister lived a few yards away in bloomsbury street

Very interesting thread this, I was born within the smell of the gas works in Devon Street, my grandfather had a coal merchants in Saltley Rd.
The business was sold just prior to war breaking out, the family name is Clutterbuck. You can take the boy out of Birmingham, but you can"t take Birmingham out of the boy.

Back