• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saltley Prior to 1902 & Rock Cinema

coerl21

master brummie
Hi All,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct section!

I used to live in Reginald Road Saltley and I thought my house was built around 1912 - but I've just purchased a map of Saltley
which shows my house in 1902. Does anyone know when this road was built?

I was born in Chestnut cottage Havelock Road. These cottages extended to Alum Rock Road adjacent to St. Saviours CE School.
This was the site of the Rock Cinema. Were these cottages demolished to make way for the cinema or were they bombed and the cinema built after the war?

Reginald road first appears in Kellys between 1890 and 1892, when only no 6 was listed. In 1895 listed were 8,14,66,84,1,67,95,107 and 113. In both cases there will be other houses present but not listed.
I am a little mystified about Chestnut cottages. They are listed on Havelock Road (as a terrace, not individually) up till the last kellys in 1973. the Rock is present in alum Rock Road from some time between 1933 and 1936.
mike

Thanks Mike,

Chestnut cottages is a block of 4 cottages. I think that block and Sycamore cottages are still there but have been modernised.

Thanks again

Paul

Back