• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ryland Birmingham Trade Mark

I've found this on Ebay Australia although the seller is in Yorkshire!
s-l400.png

Antique RYLAND BIRMINGHAM Rubber & Wood Hand Stamp Printing BOTTLE ? Labels​

• Georgian House Collectables (36206)
Is this stoneware ginger beer bottle - flagon related ?. It is a flat rubber and wood hand stamp so it may just be for actual paper labels I don't actually know how this would work on a stoneware bottle before it was fired !?.

I would suggest the firm is Howard Ryland, who were a printer,label maker, wholesale stationer, pen manufacturer at 217 Bradford St, and that the item was an ink bottle. They were either glass of pottery , and always stoppered by a cork
Maybe you know in which years Howard Ryland was active?

The first reference to Howard Ryland in directories is in the Whites 1873 directory, when they were at 105-107 Newhall St.
They are not listed in 1872.The last mention of them as stationers and pen makers is in 1914, but they continue listed as just printers till at least 1921

I note, in the advertisement, that they supplied 'highly polished Mahogany boxes;, which might mean they polished the boxes themselves, hence the need for vanish, thinners etc.

Back