• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Russian military maps

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the break up of the Soviet Union copies of Russian military maps of the UK were found (I understand rescued from a burning Latvian barracks). They have been available to buy for a while, but can now be seen on the Old Maps website. The date given is 1990, but actually they are compilations of various data from , I would think , 1960-1980. The Birmingham rail diagrams look particularly like 1960 to me to me. To look at them go to https://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?selection=4 , pinpoint the town you want (not every area is available) and click on it and then click on "Russian map, enlarge" button to the right. If you try to go to home page, click on map and then on "Russian maps" it didn't seem to work for me, but going staright to link above did work
Mike

Intriguing, Thanks Mike - Simply Cold War planning or plans for invasion? Perhaps they would have made our trains run on time and a bit cheaper....

Excellent find, Mike. Thank you. The map even has the place where my father was born. Cannot think that they would want to bomb that building!

This thread reminds me of an occasion when i was working for a firm back in the 1970's who imported air conditioning equipment from the USA,

and i remember one day we unpacked a cardboard carton of spare parts and found a couple of Soviet Air Force maps screwed up and used

as packing. I never did figure out where the Americans would have got hold of those, never mind then throwing them away.

All very James Bond...

Back