• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment Help Please

paula1964

master brummie
Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

Would anyone be able to help me please with a query on how i find out if details i have found are my husbands relative and if they are where can we go to find out further info about his time in the services.

His name is John Edward Henry Newton and he married Mildred Lily Gertrude Haddock in 1911. He had a brother called Richard W Newton His father was Edward and mother was Annie he was born in S Wales.

On the medal card the details say

John E H Newton
Royal Warwickshire Regiment 26931
R Fus Pte GS/99129

How do i find out if this is our relative, he did not die in the war.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Kind regards Paula:boohoo:

Hi Paula.

Can't find him on the 1918 Absent Voters List, in fact he doesn't appear at all untill the 1930 Electoral Roll living at 34 Longmore Street, he is also on the 1935 Electoral Roll living at 9 Camden Square, Mary Street. In both cases Mildred is also shown as a voter. Sorry I couldn't find anything else.

Barrie.

Hi carlb 1964 and Barrie,

Thank you both for replying to my thread very much appreciated and Barrie thank you for looking at the absent voters list and giving me those addresses that they were living at much appreciated, i will keep looking i know John Newton was a railway porter at the time he married more research needed and a trip to the Library to see what i can find out.

Thank you both again kind regards Paula

Hi Again Paula.

This looks like him on the 1901 census, he appears to have been born in Wales.

imagex.jpg

Hi Barrie,

Thanks once again he was born in Wales and his dad Edward was born in Devon, we are trying to find out places where he was on his marriage cert which was april 1911 he was living in Bulcher Street i have had a look on the 1911 census which must have been taken just before he married and there is a John Newton with William Newton which may have been his brother who was Richard W known as Bill but it says they were born in Birmingham but know sign of his parents who were both still alive.
Could i ask you if you know if there was a absent voters list for world war 11 as we are also trying to find out details what regiment his grandfather also called John known as Jack he was in the Burma Campaign and but we dont know when he went in maybe the Staffordshire Regiment but they have know details.
Thanks again for your help kind regards Paula

Hi Snoker

Thanks i will, as i am not sure whether this is his army medical card or somebody else's as there is a John E H Newton who died in the great was but i know from family member's it was not him. I have been on the great war forum they are brill they found out my great grandfather medal card and a very kind gentlemen on there e-mailed me details of the day he died in 1916 he was in Black Watch 2nd Bat

Thanks again kind regard

Back