• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 9th Battalion

• Thread starter Thread starter Ian C Pearson
  • Start date Start date
I

Ian C Pearson

Hi

My Great Uncle Alfred Christopher Pearson the youngest son of Caroline and Bishop Pearson joined the 9th Bt RWR in August 1914. He had just obtained a 2nd Class honors degree in Theology at Lincoln College Oxford as he wanted to follow into the church like his father. In that first draft was William Slim (latter Field Marshall Slim of Burma) and Gregson! They were the only three to survive untill November 1918.
I would be interested to know what happened to the others from the battalion and if there are any photos of them. Kevan Darby has provided me with some photos and I do have some myself I can share. The 9th Battalion List Kevan sent me from October 1914 is as follows:-

Commanding Officer
Maj. C. H. Palmer (Temp Lt Col) transfered from Worcestershire Regiment

Majors
Maj. H. R. Blythe - (Res Officer)
Maj. G. D'E. H. Fullerton - (Temp)(Maj Retired Mila)

Captains
Cpt. R. G. H. Shuttleworth - Inf
Cpt. F. C. Annesley (Temp)
Cpt W. M. Darvill (Temp)

Lieutenants
None listed?

2nd Lieutenants
2nd Lt. W. J. Slim (Temp)
2nd Lt. S. Sg. G. S. Kingdom (Temp)
2nd Lt. C. H. Ivans (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. C. Pearson (Temp)
2nd Lt. E. N. Marson (Temp)
2nd Lt. R. F. Jardine (Temp)
2nd Lt. R. T. Leach (Temp)
2nd Lt. J. R. Stanley (Temp)
2nd Lt. J. K. S. Page (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. K. Bennett (Temp)

By Jan 1915 Battalion brought upto strength - Officers as follows:-

Commanding Officer
Maj. C. H. Palmer (Temp Lt Col) transfered from Worcestershire Regiment

Majors
Maj. G. D'E. H. Fullerton - (Temp)(Maj Retired Mila)
Maj. R. G. Shuttleworth (Temp) (Capt. Indian Army)
Maj. A. G. Sharp (Temp) (Apt. in Army)

Captains
Capt. H. C. Sinnott (R War R)
Capt. R. Wood (R War R)
Capt. C. J. Reid (Temp)
Capt. G. H. D. Coats (Temp)(Lt. R War R Spec Res)
Capt. P. C. Sharp (Temp)(Lt W.I.R.)

Lieutenants
Lt. G. E. Grundy (Temp)
Lt. E. H. J. Woodard (Temp)
Lt. H. A. Leeke (Temp)
Lt. P. E. Bodington (Temp)

2nd Lieutenants
2nd Lt. W. J. Slim (Temp)
2nd Lt. S. St. G. S. Kingdom (Temp)
2nd Lt. C. H. Ivens (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. C. Pearson (Temp)
2nd Lt. E. N. Marson (Temp)
2nd Lt. R. F. Jardine (Temp)
2nd Lt. R. T. Leach (Temp)
2nd Lt. J. R. Starley (Temp)
2nd Lt. J. K. S. Page (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. K. Bennett (Temp)
2nd Lt. C. E. Wilson (Temp
2nd Lt. R. H. Davies (Temp)
2nd Lt. R. A. Drakeley (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. G. Kemp (Temp)
2nd Lt. C. L. Davey (Temp)
2nd Lt. G. R. Timms (Temp)
2nd Lt. A. G. Harvey (Temp)

Adjutant
Capt. C. C. R. Nevill (R. War R)(Capt in Army)

Quarter Master
W. P. Hall (hon Lt.)

Attached
Lt. J. A. S. Agar (Temp)

I have photgraphs of the following:-
Back Row - L W Josswill - G R Boddington - H G Admaus; Centre Row - J Eastabrook - A C Pearson - Dixon; Front Row J G Dowie c1916

L-R Major Bannerman (Poss J.A.M.), Lt Woodard, Lt Agar, 2nd Lt Slim, 2nd Lt Davey, 2nd Lt Leach - Bob the Dog. c1915

Lt J. F. Jardine
2nd Lt Brearley

Many Officers had Cameras so there must be quite a few in old family collections. Mine were fading fast and I have managed to save them by Scanning them all. Its something I would recomend if anybody has any old WW1 Photos.

I can be contacted at Pearsonica@btinternet.com

Regards

Ian C Pearson (Bigs)

Hi,

I have a relative Pte Percival J Lett who I discovered was RAMC during the war and then joined the R Warwickshire Regt at the end of the war. He served in India and I had great trouble tracking this down as the R Warwickshire Regt did not get the Afghanistan 1919 battle honour.

I managed to get the medal roll for the India GS medal and found his name and he is listed as being 9th Bn and attached to the 1st Bn Yorkshire Regiment along with a few other 9th Bn men listed below:

Pte Herbert Barber
A/Cpl Gilbert H Barradell
Pte Albert J Bayliss
Pte Charles A J Beal

Do you have any other info on the 9th Bns role and when these soldiers may have been attached to 1 Yorks.

Regards John

Hi John

Kevan Darby is the person you need to contact. He has got most of the warwickshire regiments records. His E-Mail Address is kevandarby@btinternet.com

Your relative Pte Percival J Lett must have gone to India with Captain William Slim. My uncle stayed in Messopotania and met his end on 4th April 1919. In the same circumstances as soldiers were being killed in Iraq today. It looks like we never Learn from our past mistakes.

I hope Kevan can help you

Regards

Ian C Pearson

Ian, Many thanks for your timely reply. I have already fired off a note to Kevan this morning asking for his help. John

Back