• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1st Bn - Please can you help!

T

tinahealy

Can anyone help me please. I am trying to find out if a record I have of a George Latham of 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt is my Great Grandfather.

The record has a army reg no: 9184 and he was killed in action on the 11/11/1914, I think in Belgium. I do have his Medal roll Card, but it doesn't have his age when he died.

Has anyone got records with this reg no: 9184 that would give his age and where he came from?

I hope someone can help

Thanks

Tina

I just checked the Commonwealth War Graves but there is no Lathams listed.

It might be worth contacting the Royal Warks. museum, they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

www.warwickfusiliers.co.uk

Terry Carter who is a member of this forum will possibly be able to point you in the right direction, he is an expert on the Warwicks, in the WW1.

Hi Tina,
The CWGC site shows that Lance corporal George Latham No9184 of the Royal Warwickshire regiment,was as you stated killed in action 11th Nov 1914.
He is buried in Strand military cemetery,Belgium.
Grave ref V11.H.4. Age unknown.
Moss.

On one website he is known as
George Henry Latham - 9184
Born Birmingham
Place of residence Birmingham.

His name does not apprear in the book of Rememberance in Birmingham's Hall of Memory.
Maybe his relatives were unaware that they could have his name in the book.

There are two births Registered in the indexs

George Henry Latham
birth Reg
1886, June Quarter in Kings Norton . Ref: 6c- 500
( Kings Norton used to be in Worsestershire, now in Birmingham )

or
George Henry Latham
Birth Reg
1887 , June Q in Birmingham. Ref: 6d-152

Bo

Hi

Thank you for your help, going by the date and place of birth you have found. It looks like it is not my great grandfather. His name is George Matthew Latham I know that he was born in Birkenhead in 1874 and that he was in the worcestershire reg in 1901 and was based in Tipperary in Ireland, because it was on his marriage certificate, but his army number is not showing on the certificate. I have tried to look for him on the worcestershire regt website, but can't find anything. I know he died between 1911 and 1933, but I cannot find a record of his death anywhere, So, when I came across this George Latham, I thought I might have come across something and that maybe he had rejoined into a new regt. It looks like I'm back to square one again.

Thanks again.

Tina

I have found 2 references in the Worcester Herald to a:-

13342 Pte G. H. Latham - West Bromwich

12th June 1915 edition in the 3rd Western General Hospital Cardiff 22 May 1915 Sick

30 June 1917 edition, Wounded

Is this you man?. Allan.
I received this reply from the Worcestershire Reg forum, Tina is this your relative?. Len.

Tina, your man is rather old for service in WW1. he would be 40 in 1914. It is certainly not impossible but his age does make it rather less likely.

One thing you could try is the collection of discharge papers to men who left the army by 1913. They are held at the National Archives (Kew) in class WO97. Not online, I am afraid. If he is there it will not give any detail beyond thetime of his discharge but could give you some very useful stuff up to that point.

Any info much appreciated

SORRY !! I have posted in the wrong section...............old age !!!

Many thanks,
Margaret.

My Grandfather Fredrick Alden was Colour Sergeant 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Reg based at Witton, was one of the 22 to come out of the battle of the Somme.

Back