• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 4th Battalion

• Thread starter Thread starter Lpt
  • Start date Start date
L

Lpt

Hi All

I am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance. On the birth certificate for my mum (born 2 Oct 1914) my grandad George Ward is listed as a private in the 4th Warwick Regiment. I have been on several websites but cannot find a 4th Warwickshire Regiment, does anyone have any info on this regiment, where they served etc. Another thing is he was born in 1866, surely he would have been too old to have enlisted for WWI? He survived the war but according to family info he came home suffering either from the effects of gas(?)or shell-shock but no-one knows any more details.

I am grateful for any help or advice.
Thanks
Lpt

The 4th (Extra Reserve) Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment remained in the Uk throughout the war. It was stationed in the Isle of Wight and then Dover.

Do you have a service number or any medals belonging to your grandad, George Ward. His service number will be on the medals.

Terry

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply. No sorry, I have no other miltary information on my grandad. He was born abt 1866 in B'ham and died in 1936 in County & City Hosp,Powick, Worcs. He was always a bit of a mystery even to my mum, he wasn't around that much.

As he was 48ish in 1914, is he likely to have joined some time before the war and just stayed in the army when the war started? Did they have any say in which regiment they went into? Would there be any records for him seeing as he survived the war. I know it's a long shot with so little to go on, but grateful for any info on where to look now.

Thanks
Lpt

Back