• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 2/6 Battalion

• Thread starter Thread starter lisab
  • Start date Start date
L

lisab

Please could anyone help me.

I'm trying to find any information on my Grandfather, i would like to know (if possible) which division or battalion he was in.

What i know- he was called Harry Worthington and enlisted after Nov 1916, he lived on Weston Street, Reddish, Stockport, Cheshire and was married to Lucy. He enlisted in Stockport and was asigned to the Cheshire Reg no. 62262 he was then sent for training to Catterick, while there he was transfered to R.War.R no. 29451.
(these regs and numbers i got off his medal card index)
On the Victory there is a roll no. L/104 B37 page 7950 and the same on the British, there is no Star. (what are these numbers for? can they be used to find out more?)

This is a long shot i Know, but anything would be helpfull.

Thank you.

Thanks.

I also forgot to say that while doing some searches, I found a William Hindley also from Reddish who enlisted in Stockport on 2.1.1917. he was asigned to the Cheshire Reg no. 62079 then at training was transfered to Royal Warwicks no. 29529 he was in B company 2/6th battalion. With this being the same area, time of enlisting and nearly the same reg. numbers mean that Harry could have been in the same battalion?

lisab, To all searchers of relatives military service, i have posted before contact the Veterans Agency UK if you have service numbers and other relevant info as many of you do they are very helpful, give them a try Good luck in your searches. Len. Free phone help number 0800 169 2277 UK only.

Last edited:
The Veterans Agency, helpful though they are, can only help if the soldier continued to serve after 1921. All records before that are in the public domain.

lisab, you can find out a good deal more from the information on the medal card. Go to www.1914-1918.net and have a read through "Researching a soldier". Look out for the part on "interpreting a medal index card".

Back