• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 1st Battalion

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
Hi,
I have found on cwgc Thomas Edwards born 1886 in Birmingham but was killed on the 20 Sept 1914,but i am not sure if he is mine.
I don`t know if he married but his parents were William and Emma Edwards
All that is on the record is his Regiment Number 9726.1st Battlion Royal
Warwicks and the cemetery.
Is there any other way i can find more information about Thomas to see if he is mine.
I would be grateful for any help.
Thankyou
Carol

Hi,
I have found on cwgc Thomas Edwards born 1886 in Birmingham but was killed on the 20 Sept 1914,but i am not sure if he is mine.
I don`t know if he married but his parents were William and Emma Edwards
All that is on the record is his Regiment Number 9726.1st Battlion Royal
Warwicks and the cemetery.

His death was not reported in the Bham Weekly Post.Soldiers Died says this man was born and enlisted in Bham. He was a regular soldier or ex-regular called up as a reservist if he was in 1st Bn at that time. This man was unlucky - he was one of only 10 killed when they held the line just north of Bucy Le Long, near Soissons and near the River Aisne from Sept 14 to October 6 1914. He was buried at Vauxbuin French National Cemetery which is 4 km southwest of Soissons. This man was listed in the De Ruvigny volumes but with no extra information.

Unfortunately, the reason why his entry in the CWGC register does not carry any extra information is because his next of kin did not receive, fill in or return an important request for information in 1920. Known as the Final Verification Form, the then Imperial WGC used the details for their registers, in preference to the less reliable regimental records. The absence of such information often means the NOK had moved or died, and the authorities had not been informed.

It probably does not help at all, but "Soldiers Died in the Great War" confirms that he was born in Birmingham.

Thankyou Alan and Chris for the information you gave me,it is a shame
there was no information given about Thomas,would there be a Death
Certificate for him at the Birmingham register office.
Thankyou
Carol

My grandfather, George Albert Victor Satchell, served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Reg No 307809, 1st/8th Battalion, Private. He was killed on 25th March 1917 at the age of 33. And is buried in the Peronne Communal Cemetary, France. Acknowledging the appalling conditions under which the men were fighting and dying at that time, I am wondering if there are any records/diaries which
give any more information on the cause of death, or, exact location? Thank you, Anne

The daily war diary of the 1/8th Royal Warwicks is held at the National Archives, piece reference WO95/2756. It has recently been digitised and you can buy a downloadable copy from their DocumentsOnline website for the princely sum of £3.50. It will certainly tell you what they were doing and where they were; there is only an outside chance that George himself will be mentioned.

Thank you Chris, much appreciated. I will get onto the National Archives site now and download a copy. Yes, I realise that there probably won't be any mention of my grandfather but at least
there might be more information than I currently have. Regards.

Alan, oh dear, I would love to see your summary, I wonder where it went? Appreciated all the same.

He is mentioned in the Bham Weekly Post 21.4.17 with little extra detail than CWGC apart from having at that time a brother serving in France. 1/8th War Diary....
On the day of his death 1/8 relieved 18/Welsh Rgt in or near the front line at Driencourt village, Buire Wood, Agache Copse and Templeux la Fosse. They moved forward during the day to Tincourt Wood (Tincourt is c7k east of Peronne). "evacuated by the enemy" (this was part of the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line). Templeux was shelled during the day and 'D' company suffered three casualties, including two other ranks killed (not named). According to CWGC two 1/8 were killed that day - your man and Pte David Taylor, 25, from Peterhead Alberdeenshire. He is also in Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension. Back to WD - Hostile aeroplanes very active throughout the day flying lower and frequently opening machine gun fire on the troops beow. NB March 18 - 40 and 48th Division entered Peronne (1/8 in 143 Bde, 48 Division) but were driven out on March 23. Burials in the cemetery in Peronne were started by 48 Division in March 1917.

Back