• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 14th Battalion

• Thread starter Thread starter Pastseeker
  • Start date Start date
P

Pastseeker

Hello All,

Looking for any additional information on the above chap who served with the 14th Warwicks, No. 168.

I know he was KIA on the 22nd July 1916. (his name is mispelt P T Jackson on the roll of honour & CWGC)

He was born and raised in Northampton, which I know is unusaul for a Birmingham Pal. I was thinking he might have been living in Birmigham when war broke out.

Finally would his low service number indicate an early enlistment?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

here he is in 1911 living 28 whitworth rd. northampton

thomas jackson. head. 45 formans clicker? shoe manufacture b. northampton
mary elizabeth 43 b. northampton
arthur ernest 20 leather dresser b. northampton
thomas percy 18 drapers asst. b. northampton
cyril 8 b. northampton
mary (or mercy) hewes widow mother b. brampton northants.

Many thanks for taking the time to do that for me, very helpful.

Regards,

Paul.

T P Jackson having the service number 168 and serving in the 1st B'ham Bn (14th Royal Warwicks) was the 168th person to enlist into the battalion. They started at no.1 in each B'ham battalion.

The men applied to join the battalion either by contacting the B'ham daily Post or applying via the Lord mayor's Parlour at the Council House and then were sent postcards to instruct them to turn up at the newly built Art Gallery in Great Charles Street for attestation and medical.

A good majority of the low number men who enlisted into the 1st B'ham Battalion were Council employees.

He served in A Company No.1 Platoon. I can get a platoon photo for you but there is no indication of where he might be in the group picture.

Regards

Terry

Thanks for all that additional information.

Would love a Platoon picture if you have one.

Regards,

Paul.

I have just aquired the cd version of 'Birmingham Pals Book of Honour' and was disappointed to find Harold Hope (my wife's grandfather) is neither mentioned nor does he appear in any photographs. He joined 10 Sept 1914. His attestation has 11th (crossed out) 14th RWR Battl No 1. On a 'Casualty' form it clearly states 14th(Service) Battl RWR. Does anyone know why he might have been absent. Are there any other photos available? His father W R Hope donated £3/10

Do you have a photograph of him taken at the time so I might see if he his pictured in any photographs of the 1st Birmingham Battalion that I have.

I see on his medal index card that he was later commissioned into the Cheshire Regiment.

Terry

I cannot explain why his name and number was not mentioned in the Birmingham Battalions Book of Honour. However, he is not the only original volunteer not mentioned.
I can tell you that he served in B Company, 8 Platoon

Terry

Hello Terry. I am very grateful for this information. I am awaiting a copy of your Birmm Pals book, in the hope that there might be a photo in there. Incidentally, I found a photo of my ggfather in the Sheffield Pals book, so it is worth a try. I attach a photo taken around that time Harold was 36 when he enlisted.View attachment 41518Do you know any other sources of photographs of the battalion which I could investigate. Thanks again. Mike

Mike

Thanks for the photo. I have a B Company Roll published after the Battalion was formed and that is where he is listed. Give me a couple of days and I will scan it and email it to you. In the photo you supplied he is wearing his Birmingham Battalion buttonhole badge presented to him by the Deputy Lord Mayor (Bowater) at a ceremony held at Thorp Street Drill Hall prior to the battalion commencing it's training. This was to show people that he had enlisted and thus not be given a white feather.

Terry

Back