• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 10th Regiment

• Thread starter Thread starter Laine
  • Start date Start date
L

Laine

Hi everyone

I have just discovered that my great grandfather was a soldier with the Royal Warwickshre Regiment between 1916 and 1918 and I'm hoping that somebody here can tell me where I might perhaps gain some more information or perhaps even some photos of this regiment.

Thank you very much

thank you Ray, on his records it looks like it says '10 Royal Warwickshire Regiment' and Royal Warwickshire Depot. Woud you know what this means please?

thank you

The depot,was Budbrook Barracks,Warwick.If it was the 10th battalion,it would have been raised in Warwick,rather than Birmingham.
The Warwicks Museum (below) may be able to give you information.

10 Nov 2008 ... Royal Warwickshire Regimental Museum ST JOHNS HOUSE, WARWICK TEL: 01926 491653.

Laine, Extract from War diaries. Len. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment entered World War I with two regular battalions, two reserve battalions and three territorial battalions.
During the war, the regiment raised a total of 30 battalions.
The regiment won 70 battle honours during the four years of war while its officers and men won 5 Victoria Crosses.
The regiment lost 11,610 casualties during the Great War.
The 10th (Service) Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment was formed at
Warwick in Sep 1914 as part of the second of Kitchener's new armies.
It was assigned to 57th Brigade in 19th Division on the Salisbury Plain.
In Dec 1914 the battalion was in billets for the winter and in Mar 1915 concentrated with its division around Tidworth.
On 17 May 1915 the battalion embarked for France and Flanders.
During the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the battalion was in the operational area between 1 Jul and 7 August and between 7 Oct and the end of the battle on 18 Nov 1916. The 10th Battalion ended the war in the same formations on 11 Nov 1918 west of Bavai, France.

According to extracts from battalion war diaries, the 10th Battalion was inaction at Grandcourt on that day, the last day of the Battle of the Somme.

thank you for that :)

I'm ashamed to say that I've never taken much notice of WW1 because I never knew if any relatives had fought but since finding out about my great grandfather I'm searching everywhere on the web for information.

Where would I go to perhaps find some photos of the regiment?

thanks again for all the info!

Hi Terry

His name was Harry Fanthom and his service number was 20230, he was in the army from 1916 until 1918 when he came out due to being shot in the foot!

Hi Laine

His name and number was in the casualty lists, as being wounded, published in the Birmingham Daily Post on 9 November, 1917.

However, is name was written as H Fantham 20230.

The actual date of wounding would have been a week or so prior to the publication date.

I will try and find out where the 10th Royal Warwicks were serving at the time.

Terry

Hi Terry

I've come across several spellings of his surname, but on one of the records his wife and children match what I already know so I'm certain that he is the right one.

From trying to decipher the writing on his service records I believe he was somewhere in France when he was injured but it would be fantastic if you could find out exactly where.

Also from deciphering the writing it looks like he shot himself in the foot!!

thanks for the help :)

just like laine i too have just started to research my grandads time during ww1....as far as i know the family have no photos of him....:(:( could i please have any advise as to the best way of maybe tracking any down..here is his medal card...

Cheers..
Lyn:)

Lyn, be prepared for hard work and possible disappointment. Searching for photos of a given soldier is like looking for a needle in a very large haystack - and not even knowing for sure if there is a needle there in the first place.

The best place to look, by far, is among your own family.

The second best is local newspapers, which carried an amazing amount of material on local boys. A bit of a trawl but well worth doing.

Once you have determined his unit, it might be worth finding any history of them that has been written. Some include photos; rarely are individuals named, though. It would also be worth asking on any WW1 discussion forum you can find as to whether anyone has researched that unit and come across any pictures. It is no good asking for RFA - it was much too big a regiment. Do it once you know his unit.

thanks again chris...as far as i know we have no family pics although my cousin has a few more boxes to go through so i am preparing myself for the long haul...ok i have the medal card so can you tell me please how to go about finding out what unit he was in....then away i go....hopefully....

cheers
lyn..:)

There'a code on the medal card. Possibly two or even three. They tell you which rolls he is listed on. They are not online, so you need a visit (or get help) to the National Archives. The unit(s) may be given on the rolls. They invariably are for infantry, must less often for artillery.

I am looking for Arthur Hunt's records. He is in the 1891 census registered as 'Reserve army private, Warwicks Regiment' born 1866 in Alcester. The museum at Warwick directed me to the National Archives but have been going round in circles trying to find the appropriate set of records. I believe he joined the 1st Volunteers in 1882 but can't work out what I should be trying to access. Any advice welcomed, thank you.

They might be very helpful but you would be wasting your time, I am afraid. All records of men discharged by 1913 are no longer held by the MOD or Veteran's Agency, and are at the National Archives at Kew. The records you seek are in series WO96 (for Militia) and WO97 (for Army). I think the Volunteers come into the former category. Neither are online.

Thank you lencops and Chris for your advice and for help re series nos., much appreciated.

Back