• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwicks? William Brown killed falling from train

kluson

proper brummie kid
hi there

here is a picture of William Brown. I believe he lived at 23 Johnson Road in Erdington, I was told that he was Royal Warwicks and that he went through the war but was killed on his way home from the war, falling from the train.
What is that above his breast pocket? does anyone have any information or can point me in a direction to find out more about this brave man.

Hi

At 23 Johnson Rd in 1918 & 1919 Absent Voter's lists - William Samuel Brown - M2/192234, Pte., 32 M.A.C., A.S.C.

Suzanne

His WW1 service records are on Ancestry:) He was a Chauffeur on enlistment and stated a preference for Motor Transport when asked which particular branch of service he preferred. Address 23 Johnson Street. Aged 39 & 7 months on enlistment

He married Nellie Cook 8th Sept 1900 at the Registry Office. You can see more if you have access to Ancestry.

Suzanne

Hi

Tragically, It looks like he died 12th May 1919 "Died on Railway at Laf???? France en route to England ex Salonica Force. Presumed accidentally killed."

It's quite difficult to make out the actual place where the accident happened but I'm sure someone will decipher if.

Suzanne

Hi there

thanks for all that. Could it be LA FERTE-ALAIS where he was killed?

did you have anything on his service record?

many thanks

kluson

All the above info (except for absent voter's info which came from Midlands Historical data) came from his WW1 Service records on Ancestry. It quite possibly could be La Ferte-Alais only they have joined up LaFerte as one word.

Suzanne

The records do not seem to indicate where he enlisted except that there is a letter sending him for a medical at what looks like Curzon Hall Birmingham. Date is 2/6/16.

Janice

Thanks

I'm still trying to find out what that is above his breast pocket. If he enlisted in 1916 it can't be a 1914/15 star ribbon?

anyone shed any light

Nan Mud.jpg

Do you have access to the records on Ancestry?
The first dates are definitely 1916 - it says "at home 28/6/16 to 30/8/16" then "Salonika 31/8/16". I wonder if it was to do with the fact he was attached to "32 MAC" within the RASC?
Someone with more idea about military badges may know.

Janice

Could it be a Military Medal ribbon?

Hi everyone
Thanks for your help. Sorry I don't have access to ancestry. so thanks for your help

This man was my Great grandfather. The lady is his wife she was known in the family as Nan Mud. I lived in that house from being born to the age of around 14, it is the back of Johnson Road in Erdington. I would really like to find out more about his time during 1916 and his subsequent death in 1919 when he fell out of the train on the way back from Salonika and was killed.( He must have been one of the unluckiest guys in the War) Hence him being the only burial in the Cemetery at La Ferte Alais. I will try to visit his grave this year on my next trip to the Somme.
So any more help would be really appreciated.
Thanks for all your help so far

I have checked his service papers on Ancestry and he was conscripted (called up) in 1916 and there is nothing mentioned in his papers apart from the dates he served at home and then to Salonika.

One has to ask the question is the photograph that you put up William Samuel Brown? because he does have a medal ribbon above his breast pocket.

OR if it his him did he serve during South African War and that is a campaign ribbon

very confusing

Terry

If he served in South Africa wouldn't he have answered YES to having previously served in HM forces? In the Ancestry papers he clearly said NO.

Janice

I'm inclined to agree that the ribbon could be the MM, (I don't think the "stars" were awarded 'til later), but surely the award would appear on his records/medal card ?

His medal card on Ancestry only lists the 2 standard medals to be sent to his widow after his death. (Victory and British). There is no mention on his record.

Janice

just a thought, but in the British Army of this time non drinkers, who signed the "Pledge" got a medal which could be worn with dress uniform, this was to inform others of their oath. ??, also at this time there was a medal for shooting, a marksman medal???.

I see on checking Ancestry that Nellie was a year older than William, therefore when he joined up he would have been 40 and she was 41. Do the couple in that photograph look that age?
Also I see in the 1911 census they were living at Gwalia Road of South Road, Erdington and they were sharing the house with the Wells family and the Savage family. Could it be a photo of one them and been passed down the family with everyone presuming it is Samuel and Nellie?

Only a thought

Terry

From looking at books I have, the only ribbons men wore during the war were for gallantry.
I think Terry has a good point.

Hi

There seems to be an anomaly in his age. If he was 39 Yrs 7 months when he enlisted, he could
not have been 37 when he died (Colin B's post)

As Paul says, there were medals issued during WW1 for soldiers who signed 'The Pledge', by the
Royal Army Temperance Association (RATA). These are known just as Temperance Medals, and are a
collecting field in their own right.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Everyone.
Thanks to everyone who has made a comment and suggestions etc.
I can confirm that this is indeed William and Nellie. This photograph was taken at 23 Johnson Road Erdington.
This is on my Moms side. My Moms parents both died when she was 14 and this lady known to everyone as Nan Mud brought my Mom up .
It's amazing that at the time the records were so bad, lots of strange dates etc. At least I have now found his grave, sad to think he is out there on his own , but it looks like someone has placed some flowers on his grave at some time? I will for sure visit his grave on my next trip to Verdun.
Many thanks for all the thoughts , comments and theories. I believe it will remain a mystery!

Back