• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwicks Regt

T

tonybilsborough

I have the Service Record of William Bruce Glasson (service no 730) who was in the 15th Service Battalion, I think they may have been one of the Birmingham Pals Battalions.

He was in action in France on 31 Jul 1916 and seriously wounded 23 Sep 1916. How do I go about researching his service whilst in France leading up to him being wounded? He was medically discharged in April 1918.

Any advice please?

When did he join and when did he go to France?

You need Terry Carter or his book on the Bham Pals. They went to France in November 1915 and spent some time near Bray sur Somme holding the line before being sent to Arras in early 1916. They were still there on the first day of the Somme but were soon sent south to join in.

I have the Service Record of William Bruce Glasson (service no 730) who was in the 15th Service Battalion, I think they may have been one of the Birmingham Pals Battalions.

He was in action in France on 31 Jul 1916 and seriously wounded 23 Sep 1916. How do I go about researching his service whilst in France leading up to him being wounded? He was medically discharged in April 1918.

Any advice please?

Hi Alan

He enlisted 17 Sept 1914 and went to France 21 Nov 1915.

Alan

Soryy I should have advised he joined at Sutton Coldfield

Just to confirm, the 15th Service Battalion were part of the Birmingham Pals. As Alan suggested you should buy Terry's book, £17.95 but great reading.

Thanks for all your kind replies concerning my book, Birmingham Pals

Yes he was an original volunteer to the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwicks). Fortunately his service records survive on Ancestry UK.

He served in C Company, No.11 Platoon.

He was wounded twice. The second time was the most severe and ended his military service.
The first date entered was 31 July 1916. This must have been a slight wound because he was back in action again in September.
On 31 July 1916, the 14th Warwicks were in action attacking Wood Lane near High Wood and the 15th Warwicks were in reserve near Caterpillar Wood (near Montauban) this area was very heavily shelled continuously 24/7 by German artillery as it was the area all our reserves, stores artillery lines etc was situated. Whilst in reserve around 450 men of the battalion were used to carry rations and water up to the front line troops near the village of Longueval. So I can only suggest a shrapnel wound.
The second wound took place on 23 September 1916, this was prior to the attack on the German lines around the village of Morval.

The 15th Warwicks War Diary, states that on this day the battalion was in reserve at a place known as "Quadrilateral" (a former German strongpoint near the village of Ginchy) The diary states that there was "Nothing to report" apart from the casualties. 7 other ranks wounded 1 missing. This has to be the result of German shellfire. In fact his records state that he received a GSW to the left Thigh. Gun Shot Wound which probably mean he was hit by shrapnel or shell shards.

He was dishcharged in 1918 and it seems he died in February 1919.

Let me know if I can help any more. I am going over to the Somme in July.

Terry

Below.. Some men of the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwicks) being inspected by Birmingham Lord Mayor, Neville Chamberlain, a couple of days before leaving for France on 21 November, 1915.

Thanks for all your kind replies concerning my book, Birmingham Pals

Yes he was an original volunteer to the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwicks). Fortunately his service records survive on Ancestry UK.

He served in C Company, No.11 Platoon.

He was wounded twice. The second time was the most severe and ended his military service.
The first date entered was 31 July 1916. This must have been a slight wound because he was back in action again in September.
On 31 July 1916, the 14th Warwicks were in action attacking Wood Lane near High Wood and the 15th Warwicks were in reserve near Caterpillar Wood (near Montauban) this area was very heavily shelled continuously 24/7 by German artillery as it was the area all our reserves, stores artillery lines etc was situated. Whilst in reserve around 450 men of the battalion were used to carry rations and water up to the front line troops near the village of Longueval. So I can only suggest a shrapnel wound.
The second wound took place on 23 September 1916, this was prior to the attack on the German lines around the village of Morval.

The 15th Warwicks War Diary, states that on this day the battalion was in reserve at a place known as "Quadrilateral" (a former German strongpoint near the village of Ginchy) The diary states that there was "Nothing to report" apart from the casualties. 7 other ranks wounded 1 missing. This has to be the result of German shellfire. In fact his records state that he received a GSW to the left Thigh. Gun Shot Wound which probably mean he was hit by shrapnel or shell shards.

He was dishcharged in 1918 and it seems he died in February 1919.

Let me know if I can help any more. I am going over to the Somme in July.

Terry

Below.. Some men of the 2nd Birmingham Battalion (15th Royal Warwicks) being inspected by Birmingham Lord Mayor, Neville Chamberlain, a couple of days before leaving for France on 21 November, 1915.

Terry

Thanks for this, it answers ALL my questions...I have just ordered a copy of your book from my local Library so I will be able to see your story on the Pals.

Terry

I have just finished reading your book on the Birmingham Pals, what a fantastic read, full of information to add to my family tree.

Great read

Back