• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Military Police RMP

inverness ON 2018-03-31

proper brummie kid
Hi all
Quick ask, anyone know anything about the royal miltery police 1940s
Particularly interested in information of callups in birmingham,
I'm aware of them being stationed in Wales, would ir be normal for service to be on home grounds?

Hi all
Quick ask, anyone know anything about the royal miltery police 1940s
Particularly interested in information of callups in birmingham,
I'm aware of them being stationed in Wales, would ir be normal for service to be on home grounds?
My father was in the RMP.
He did his training in Blackpool, Cannock, Cosford and London.
He saw service in England, Italy and Malta.
At the end of the war he was discharged at Cannock.
Hope that is of some use to you.

Do you have a 'service record' of the person you are interested in?

My father was in the RMP.
He did his training in Blackpool, Cannock, Cosford and London.
He saw service in England, Italy and Malta.
At the end of the war he was discharged at Cannock.
Hope that is of some use to you.

Do you have a 'service record' of the person you are interested in?
I certainly do, but as I m not in the service, there's a lot of jargon that I can't understand
I'm Aware that somewhere
He was called up but no idea where, he lived in Aston at the time and was a reserve first, he did some duty in Wales as he appears to be stationed as having married and a child in Wales before being discharged in birmingham early I'm guessing due to health in 44
Would they have kept the uniform or exchanged for civies ?
I'm coming to the end of my time so final pieces to put together

I certainly do, but as I m not in the service, there's a lot of jargon that I can't understand
I'm Aware that somewhere
He was called up but no idea where, he lived in Aston at the time and was a reserve first, he did some duty in Wales as he appears to be stationed as having married and a child in Wales before being discharged in birmingham early I'm guessing due to health in 44
Would they have kept the uniform or exchanged for civies ?
I'm coming to the end of my time so final pieces to put together
You know I'm wondering what was the training like and what was the job description,
The army I understand
You do your training
You go which ever place and either fight or attempt to keep the piece
But if uour stationed in uk back then, I'm unclear what they would be doing

You know I'm wondering what was the training like and what was the job description,
The army I understand
You do your training
You go which ever place and either fight or attempt to keep the piece
But if uour stationed in uk back then, I'm unclear what they would be doing
I won't go through the whole of my father's service record, what info I do give, you may find interesting.
1. Enlisted in 1940 as an aircraftsman/general duties.
2. December 1940 reports to Padgate, Warrington for medical examination.
3. January 1941 reports to Blackpool recruits centre for basic training in the use of rifle and gas mask. he then went to Morecombe recruit centre for further training.
4. March 1941 stationed at RAF West Kirby. At the same time he is attending Police HQ Uxbridge for training. he was then posted to N048 unit Hawarden, Flintshire. Here he undertook duties of airfield and camp security and liaised with local Police.
5. December 1944 posted to Mediterranean Allied Air Forces at Portici, Italy. Sometime later he was posted to Malta.
6. March 1946 discharged at Hednesford/Cannock camp.

Whilst stationed in the U.K the 'Military Police' would have been protecting the camps, bases, airfields and any other installation from untoward activity such as drunkenness/theft etc. They would also have to go to the local towns and round-up the late returners to camp. A few examples of what my father did but I am sure there were many more duties he had to carry out.

I won't go through the whole of my father's service record, what info I do give, you may find interesting.
1. Enlisted in 1940 as an aircraftsman/general duties.
2. December 1940 reports to Padgate, Warrington for medical examination.
3. January 1941 reports to Blackpool recruits centre for basic training in the use of rifle and gas mask. he then went to Morecombe recruit centre for further training.
4. March 1941 stationed at RAF West Kirby. At the same time he is attending Police HQ Uxbridge for training. he was then posted to N048 unit Hawarden, Flintshire. Here he undertook duties of airfield and camp security and liaised with local Police.
5. December 1944 posted to Mediterranean Allied Air Forces at Portici, Italy. Sometime later he was posted to Malta.
6. March 1946 discharged at Hednesford/Cannock camp.

Whilst stationed in the U.K the 'Military Police' would have been protecting the camps, bases, airfields and any other installation from untoward activity such as drunkenness/theft etc. They would also have to go to the local towns and round-up the late returners to camp. A few examples of what my father did but I am sure there were many more duties he had to carry out.
Hello
Thank you so very much for your response and for taking the time to reply.
Gosh your father was stationed in a lit of places.

Is there a Redcap in your family? Can be found here:-
www.rmpmuseum.com
If there are any Ex Military Policemen who would like to join, The Birmingham Branch of The Royal Military Police Association, please contact me.
We meet the first Saturday of every month at a venue in the City Centre.

Back