• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Field Artillery, Warwickshire Batteries

• Thread starter Thread starter Danish Blue
  • Start date Start date
D

Danish Blue

I attach a faded photo of Squad 38 in one of the Warwickshire Batteries (1,2 or 3), Royal Field Artillery.
The man underlined holding the cat is my g-grandad John Lewis. He lived in Selly Oak, Birmingham when he enlisted as a driver.
The Warwickshire Batteries were part of the 3rd South Midland Brigade, South Midland Division who left for France in 1915 & fought on the Somme.
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any information about where they trained & when they left for France. Any information would be gratefully accepted.
Many thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Good luck with your search.

I've taken the liberty of enhancing your image a bit. There'll probably be someone on the forum who is more expert than I and will be able to do more with it.

Chris

Last edited:
Sorry, searching for '3rd South Midland Brigade, South Midland Division' brought little of interest, other than this present day unit at Shrewsbury. Perhaps they have a historian?
https://www2.army.mod.uk/5div/org/143_bde/index.htm

I coudn't do much with the picture, either - the contrast has come up a bit, but overall it's too faded and too small a scan to improve much. Hope this and the one ChrisM has done help a bit.

Thanks Chris & Tim,
I´ve found out a lot more now thanks to you both. Bought the book "Before the Echoes Die Away" which gives an excellent account of the Sth Midlands movements.
Thanks again.

Did you get any further with the S/M? My grandfather also served with them. Any chance you can re-post your photo please?
Regards
Vic

Back