• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Devonshire Fuseliers

loisand

master brummie
How do I go about finding information on my grandfathers army career, all I know is his join date, which was 1917, I don't know anything else!!! :)

loisand. Type in your search bar "Veterans Agency uk" you will need your G/Fathers if known, Army service number, date of birth, Regiment, when he joined & when left the Army, in fact as much info as you can get but don`t worry they can find service records with only a little info, give it a try & Good Luck with your search. Len.

Hi loisand

First of all I have to tell you that there was no such unit as the Royal Devonshire Fusiliers. There was a Devonshire Regiment, and another called the Royal Fusilers, or the Royal Welsh Fusilers or the Northumberland Fusiliers.

It may be better if you can give us his name and any other information you might have. If you have any medals, two if he enlisted in 1917, his service number would be stamped on the edge of them.

Regards

Terry

Len...thankyou for that link, had a good look last night :)
Terry...thankyou for that info, so perhaps he was in the Royal Fuseliers, but the Devonshire regiment, as I said before I only have his join date, so I think this one may be a long drawn out thing to research :)
Chris....thankyou for the link, am just about to have a good look on the site to see what i can glean from it :)

I have abit more info on my grandfather now:
65033 pte Burrows L G
Devon Regiment to Povant
Left Canterbury Camp Nov 18 1819

Is Povant in France....i'm not very geographical minded!!
Apparently he was a clerk, before and during his service in the army, do I still follow the ideas that you gave me before!!
Thankyou everyone for your help :)

I do beg your pardon Chris, after re looking at the paper on an enlarged script you were right it is Fovant, and not a P!!
I wonder what he would be doing there!!! Especially in khakis!! I need to do some surfing on the net I think.
Thankyou Chris for putting me in the right country :)

Fovant (and pretty much the whole of the Salisbury Plain area) was a training ground for the British Army. Many units were based there. On a hillside nearby, a number of large regimental badges were cut into the chalky soil, and are still there today.

Thankyou Terry and Chris, I am getting quite abit of background info now on my grandfather, have copied the picture Terry and been onto the site. I also went onto the Fovant site, (local history) and managed to get alot of info of that, which was very interesting. Once again thankyou :)

Back