• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rover Spares and Repairs, Stirchley. Former Art-Deco buildings.

Virusman26

master brummie
Hi all. My first explore for a while due to family commitments, but well got the bug again now. Just down the road from me, and super easy. Set off the road, so not easily seen, but has been derelict for some time. 2 buildings make up the estate, one of which is very secure and totally burned out. The old Rover spares I explored is very graff'd and utterly stripped, but It's been goading me for months, so I had to have a go.
Pics speak for themselves, and I can't find any previous history. Totally Art-Deco in design, but can't find what the original use was...........
Does anyone know what they would have been when originally constructed? I know there are lots of you with old photo's out there that may be able to help!!!!

IMGP9901.jpg

IMGP9900.jpg

IMGP9903.jpg

IMGP9873.jpg

IMGP9904.jpg

IMGP9897.jpg

IMGP9892.jpg

IMGP9887.jpg

IMGP9884.jpg

IMGP9894.jpg

IMGP9877.jpg

Virusman

I don't know the history of this building on the side of the canal at Breedon Bridge on the Pershore Rd, but I don't think it is as old as it purports to be. I think I remembers a steelworks thereabouts. Perhaps these were the offices and reception area?

Phil

Taken from the Cotteridge website.

I know Cotteridge pretty well! I was born there. It sits on top of a hill, you go down to Stirchley, down & up to Kings Norton & Bournville, the only time you do go a little higher is towards Northfield.
It was a centre of industry, especially during WW2; do any of you recall RJ Hunt Ltd foundry just over the canal at Lifford Lane, and Compressor Accessories by the first railway bridge in Lifford Lane?
R.J.Hunt Ltd was the heavy industry of Cotteridge producing cast iron products. Scrap and other metal was brought by road and rail to the site just over the rail and canal bridge at Lifford Lane. Casting sand came from “Wildmoor Sand” near Bromsgrove. From my memory they produced gearbox casings and brake drum castings for Morris Commercial. Fleetwoods also removed the “black sand” (spent sand after being used in the casts), which was a filthy job. The skill of the labour force in producing the “casts” out of wooden patterns & sand had to be seen to be appreciated.

Yeah, thanks Mike, I just found that link too. Would be nice to see photo's of the old foundry as it was, and any old photo's of what this building is that replaced it. Thanks for your input everyone! This I why I love sharing my photo's here as you always try and shed light on what places were before my time!!!!

Thanks again

Neil

I love your adventures and photos Neil.
Wish I was 20 years younger. I love the idea of going into these deserted places
113.gif

Last edited:
I remember hunts foundry
just by the breedon bridge the foundry had two big steel chimney,s right by the railway line , smoke could be seen for mile,s around and smog in the autumn was particularly bad for stirchley and surounding areas i think as the early eighty's came upon us new regulations for emit ions came into force and forced the closure of the foundry .

Back