• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

JenResearcher

Hi all! I am currently working with Bertz Associates on a community documentary about the history of roller skating at the Tower Ballroom.

The Tower was opened in 1876 as the Edgbaston Roller Rink, advertised as the ‘largest covered skating rink in the Kingdom’. It was a popular and beloved venue in the heart of Ladywood till it was finally closed in 2017, and demolished in 2022.

If you, or anyone you know, ever roller skated at the Tower or has any interesting stories to share, we would love to hear from you! No matter how big or small the story, please get in touch. You can email me at projects@bertzassociates.net or learn more about the project on our website: https://www.bertzassociates.net/projects/rolling-at-the-tower-ballroom

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
hi jenresearcher...if my info is correct the tower ceased as a roller rink in 1920 so there wont be anyone around now to recount their memories of skating there at that time...however i do know that some years ago (maybe 15 years ago) it converted back to a rollar rink because i went there about 8 years ago just to re live my days of roller skating at spring hill roller rink...good luck

lyn

Last edited:
Back