• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rolfe Street, Smethwick

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I went to Smethwick recently and while there, got photos of buildings on Rolfe Street, but know nothing about them (not sure if this is the right place to post this thread)

Star Window Co Ltd - 16 Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Smethwick Enterprise Centre - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Rolfe House - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Joblink - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (former fire station)

Derelict building - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (has something on it about quilting)

Model Builders (B'ham) Ltd - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Golu Da Dhaba - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (corner with New Street in Smethwick)

I'm sorry I don't know about these buildings but Rolfe Street Swimming Baths were removed and rebuilt at the Black Country Museum.
rosie.

The Rolfe Street Baths was the first thing I saw at the Black Country Living Museum last year rosie.

I couldn't tell on Rolfe Street were it used to be though.

The only thing I found that one of those buildings was a fire station at one point.

Kellys omits numbers for a lot of the buildings in rolfe St. Nevertheless I think the Star Wibdows buidling must be what was originally the Smethwick General Post Office, built c 1890. there is a picture in Sandwell Archives apparently, but it is not online so am unable to confirm, but am pretty sure. the swimming baths were directly opposite the post office.
The Enterprise Park was for a long time a Corporation Depot, and I think built for that purpose.
Golu Da Dhaba was the Star Public house.
Model builders seem to have been part of an iron works . In the 1880s it was the Crown Iron works, but later (early 1900s) it became the Patent rivet works. the building may not have been there during the 1880s
Am not sure what the derelict building was, but think it must have been associated with the iron works. however streetview shows anothe rbuilding to the left of the buildings in that photo . See https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ro...oid=bKbccArQ4kcUQlu0hy1e3g&cbp=12,337.62,,0,0 . This looks interesting but may have gone between streetview & you visiting the site. At first I thought it was a cinema, but think now it probably was a church at no 72 - the Rolfe St Pentacostal mission in 1921, The Rolfe St Apostolic Church in 1932 . In 1900 it was the smethwick coffee House, but I reckon that was an older building

Thanks mikejee.

That building is probably still there.

Do you reckon that Rolfe House and the Joblink building are early 20th century?

The only archive photos of buildings I found was Joblink as a Fire Station.

On Smethwick Rolfe Street Station was a plaque for the Theatre Royal.

The "new" fire station listed as "building" in the 1910 Kellys, so would have been completed probably in that year. I would think that Rolfe House is a little later (1920s?)

The Theatre Royal Smethwick was further along Rolfe Street from the station but the station was the only suitable building on which the plaque could be placed.

These where some old mates of mine drinking in the pub on Rolf Street, photo circa 1966/67.

Smethwick_Branch_of_Whiskey__boys_1966.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to know Rolfe Street baths was rebuilt at the Black Country museum. Used to pass that on my bike for many years over all those canal bridges over there when I was on my way to my nans in smethwick (c1964). Be great to see any old pics of that area if anyone has any.

The now forlorn Crown and Anchor at the corner with Hill Street must have some storys to tell. Anyone got any? When was it last open?

Attachments

• Crown&Anchor_RolfSt_opt.jpg
    Crown&Anchor_RolfSt_opt.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 27
Practice at Rolfe Street fire station 1931.

Attachments

• Practice using jumping sheet 1931..JPG
    Practice using jumping sheet 1931..JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 31
In the first picture the fire station was the building to the right.Some other places on Rolfe street in the 70,s ,were....Smethwick drop forgings....Spears,s metal polishers,and Morrises pet shop supplies .The stafforshire knot amd white horse pubs amongst many buildings that used to be on that very packed road.There was also a rag yard which i dont recall the name of but where you exchanged old clothes for cash.

My relatives had a sweet/paper shop in Rolf St I am sure late 50's, sad to see the "Crown & Anchor" in such a state.
paul

Here is a picture of Rolfe street taken in 1957.mossg

Attachments

• Rolfe St with baths in ditance.1957.JPG
    Rolfe St with baths in ditance.1957.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 32
I went to Smethwick recently and while there, got photos of buildings on Rolfe Street, but know nothing about them (not sure if this is the right place to post this thread)

Star Window Co Ltd - 16 Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Smethwick Enterprise Centre - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Rolfe House - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Joblink - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (former fire station)

Derelict building - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (has something on it about quilting)

Model Builders (B'ham) Ltd - Rolfe Street, Smethwick

Golu Da Dhaba - Rolfe Street, Smethwick (corner with New Street in Smethwick)

El the pic with the mention of quilting I think they used to make all aspects of bedding I used to drink with a chap that worked that way and he used to deliver eiderdowns blankets etc . Unfortunately I do not know the name

I'm sorry I don't know about these buildings but Rolfe Street Swimming Baths were removed and rebuilt at the Black Country Museum.
rosie.

“Staff at work in Rolfe Street Baths laundry.”

From Joe Russell's Smethwick (2002) no date given.
“Staff at work in Rolfe Street Baths laundry.”

IMG_1793.jpeg

Back