• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roberts Family

elainer126

Brummie babby
Hi I'm researching my mother in laws family. The Roberts family lived at 72 Tintern Road & 64 Upper Thomas Street, Aston Birmingham. Just looking for anyone who may have known the family. Mostly interested in Alfre Roberts who served in the army. I have found out a lot on ancestry but Alfred is my mother in laws grandfather and she knows nothing about him. Thanks

Not an easy name to trace and I think Jane's (if I've got the right people) maiden name was Jones (even more tricky), marriage registered West Bromwich Sep qtr 1894.

Harry was born in Banbury, the son of Rhodes Roberts and Ann Wyld.

Hiya, yes your right Harry Roberts and Jones are my mother in laws great grand parents, I have Harry Roberts will. My mother in law Philomenia, never knew what happened to her grandfather, Alfred Roberts, I have his army records, electoral rolls, birth cert and marraige cert. Philomenia's father Alfred Roberts Jnr came back to Jreland in the 1930's when her father was about 8, her grandmother never talked about her husband Alfred Roberts snr much, and she never knew what happened to him. I'm helping her to fill in the blanks but have had no look on ancestry, and anyone who is doing the family tree has no information on ancestry.

All she she wants to know is when he died and where he's buried. We think maybe the family didn't like her grandmother because she was Irish. Her grandmother never spoke about Alfred, we don't know why. Just hoping someone from Upler Thomas Street might remember the name of now something.

Thanks

The death registers list the d.o.b. for the deceased in England & Wales after about 1970 which you can see for free on familysearch. Maybe one might match.

If you could tell us the d.o.b then we can search more easily. Do you think he had died when they went back to Ireland?

Janice

Hi Janice, his date of birth is 5 May 1903, he was born in Aston Birmingham, 34 Waterworks Street. I have Alfred in the 1911 census, his marraige cert, an army record I found on findmypast.ie where it mentioned he was discharged from the army in 1932. I have him in the electoral rolls up until 1930. And that's it.

My my mother in law Philomenia her father came back to Ireland start of the 1930's and her father just assumed he was dead. So I'm mainly trying to fill in the gap for Philomenia about her grandfather no matter if it's good or bad, she just wants to know when he died, and where he might be buried.

Until instarted doing the the family tree for her she never knew that her grandfather had brothers and sisters. The family tree is on ancestry.

Thanks for for your help, I'm going to order a death cert, I checked familysearch.org and there were 6 Alfred Roberts born in 1903, 5 didn't match the timeline, one did he died in 1972, so fingers crossed its him.

Hi I'm going to order a death cert for the Alfred Roberts who died in 1972, the other 5 didn't match up. So fingers crossed. Thanks for your help, I forgot all about family search.org

Sorry about this but the one who died in 1972 in Birmingham has a d.o.b of 9 Dec 1903. It is on Ancestry.

Janice

Thanks for your help, there was a story that Philomenia remembers being told, was that he went to India with the army, but I've not had any luck in using the usual ancestry tools, even with his army number. Thanks again

If you know his regiment then you could try finding an email address for them (even if they are now merged and called something different) and seeing if they have an archivist who can help. I did that for my Gt Grandfather who was a regular soldier and we managed to trace him. (At the time I didn't even have his number).
Good luck.
Janice

Hi I'm going to order a death cert for the Alfred Roberts who died in 1972, the other 5 didn't match up. So fingers crossed. Thanks for your help, I forgot all about family search.org

Hi was the Alfred Roberts died in 1972 married to Irene Kate V Griffiths married in 1924, if so they are my great grand parents I am doing our family tree as my nan was Rita Nora Violet Roberts, Irene and Alfreds daughter.

Back