• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Richard Warner Needle makers

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello Folks,
on a birth cert for 1861(ASTON) the profession of the father was given as MASTER NEEDLE MAKER, his name was Richard Warner....does anyone have any info on this trade at all, factory etc ???

Margaret.

From a dictionary of old trades,titles and occupations.
Master.. Male person in charge ( e.g. ships master or school master ) also a person who has served his time in a trade ( e.g. master capper ) . Up to the 16th century the term was used to signify social standing and was abbreviated as Mr.

needlemaker Through found thought Britain the centre of the needle making industry I the 17th 18th and 19th century was the English Midlands`

Margaret
Was the name of the father Aston, or was he in Aston? In 1862 the needle and fish hook makers listed in birmingham were:
Allarton & Powell 76 New john st west, together with the attached list
(Allarton & powell were in a separate column)
Mike

Hello Mike,
the address of the birth was Lawley St Aston...the father was Richard Warner....I am keen to know about the factories that may have been in this area & therefore a possible employer for Richard Warner..
Thanks for you interest..

Margaret.

Hi Margaret,
I did some research into Kirby Beard & co, as listed on Mike's posting. They were needle makers among many other items and probably most famous for "Kirby Grips".
They also had a factory in Redditch which became a centre for needle manufacture. If you contact the Forge Mill, Needle Museum, Redditch, they have loads of info.

Colin Clarke

I'm interested in needle/pin makers as my grandmother worked as one in the early 1900's - she lived in Small Heath - would Kirby Beard be near there. Thank you.
Sheri

Hi Margaret,
I did some research into Kirby Beard & co, as listed on Mike's posting. They were needle makers among many other items and probably most famous for "Kirby Grips".
They also had a factory in Redditch which became a centre for needle manufacture. If you contact the Forge Mill, Needle Museum, Redditch, they have loads of info.

Colin Clarke

Living in Redditch I've visited the Needle Museum, it's very informative and worth a trip out, you can also walk around the Abbey ruins which is on the same site.

Hi Sheri
The short answer is yes but I have not been able to pinpoint exactly where the factory was other than it was at the corner of Richard Street & Dartmouth St.
The latter is now Dartmouth Circus. If you google both names you will get an approximate location.

Colin Clarke

View attachment 44229
Here's an old map showing where the factory was in Dartmouth & Richard St.
I went to the school next door, part of the school was 'The Annex' to Bloomsbury Girls Secondary Modern, our main school was in Lingard & Goodrick St's

Pomgolian i remember that school the playground was at the front and the school was down a slope , the Green Man Pub was next door. They must have demolished the Factory to build the Waterlinks(the first high rise flatted factory unit to be built in B,ham).Dek

hi richard
i have just read the aricle on needle makers and i was very intrested to know where aboutinredditch is this museum on the needle makers and thefactory in redditch was
as my great grand mother mary ann hughes whom lived in stoke prior many years ago
in the early years of the 1900s and when i got the certifi; from the reg ; office it stated that she was a needle maker i may actualy learn somthink from this visit
according to one of the libarians incentral b,ham she was a child of a lady called iliza banning
and had a number of children and there was no men mentioned on any of the registers of
cencus and according to the libarian he reckons it was a very big house owing to the number of kids
and eliza banning was a kept lady in those days of late 1800,s
there is a lot of mary ann hughes coming from west brom
but any way thats another issue please inform me where i can find this museum
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;;

Pom there is a very tenuous link between Kirby & Beard & Goodrick St which I am researching, have you got a similar map of where your school was?
Clarkie

Astonian, The website is www.forgemill.org.uk the address is Needle Mill Lane, Riverside, Redditch, B98 8HY. It is very interesting to visit and I would think even more interesting if you have family members that worked in that trade. Sometimes they have open days when you can get in for free but I dont know when the next one is.
Polly

hi polly
many thanks for your time and for giving me some details and giving me the
the address of where to find it very much appreciated.
i will take a ride out to redditch this week end and have a search for it
also i will be tracking stoke prior village to see what it looks like i am hoping it as not changed much
and i will be looking for big houses from the past, i keep in regular touch with the people of the old cow honeybourne residents where my ancesters all lived its amazing how the jelfs family sibblings of some of the generations living there mind you they are inmy age group the old codgers bridgade
i had leart froma book that my ancesters that they was really involved with the church of honey bourne
going back many years along with another person and when the church which is still standing with graves ofmost of them are still surrounding the old church
the items of silver and other things was transferedd tothe vaults of the eversham catheral
and i got that confirm by the old lady of the village a mrs gogginswhomis the longest and oldest member of the oringinal village and its also printed in the village bookwhich the people of the village made and had it
printed . the book was call the milliumyear of honeyborne village eversham
there house was also listed as ivydene houseit was a thatch cottage and this was handed to the jelfs familyfor centuries , i spent many times down in that house in the days of having no electricity
no running water only thewell inthe back garden with the orchard and a levine running around the house
and lots of bee hives for honey we used to take tons of fruit back to brum for our neibours in cromwell terrace lichfield rd
sorry polly; i am waffling on here ,so i will stop here
once again polly many thanks for giving me the info on the needle factory and the wher to find the museum have a nice day , best wishes Astonian ....

Hi.i stay at a hotel in poole bank southcrest. Redditch .it was a quality inn but has since changed its name ..the hotel was the private family home of the needle makers ..they have a print out at reception .their fone no is 01527541511. Hope this helps...

Hi everyone, Mikejee posted a list a few posts back with O.G. Blackham at 16 Regents Place - could anyone tell me his full name and what he did please. He might have a connection with my Blackham family and I would like to research this.
Thank you,
Sheri

Sheri
In the commercial listing of the 1862 directory it states:
Blackham, Oliver Gaishford, pin and needle manufacturer and factor.
Its certainly an unusual name which should be easy to confirm , if it is an ancestor
mike

Back