• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Renovating Stairs

AMW

master brummie
Hi

I would love to renovate these stairs in some way rather than hide them with carpet as they have been until now. I notice some of the stairs are cracked, they also creak in places. Would anyone be able to advise please.

Best wishes
Alison

thumbnail_20240826_115339.jpgthumbnail_20240826_115315.jpgthumbnail_20240826_115310.jpgthumbnail_20240826_115305.jpgthumbnail_20240826_115248.jpg

i am no expert but you made need a carpenter in to sort out those cracks..you made need some treads replacing..good luck

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
im a joiner
old creaking stairs is a part of there character what
im looking at are photos of what we call the rise and go
depends if you are going to paint them or carpet them if you carpet them with a thick under lay that will reduce the creaking you hear as long as you have no dry rot or worm you don t have a safety issue
it is hard to see any
problems by looking at photos

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
im a joiner
old creaking stairs is a part of there character want im looking at are photos of what we call the risr and go
depends if you are going to paint them or carpet them if you carpet them with a thick under lay that will reduce the creaking you hear as long as you have no dry rot or worm you don t have a safety issue
it is hard to see any
problems by looking at photos
Hello Donbogen

If I remember rightly you gave me that lovely comment on restoring my wooden kitchen worktops, thank you :)

I don't mind the creaking, as you say it is part of their character. I removed the carpet and carpet strips and this is what I am left with. Ideally I would like to return them to oiled/stained solid wood. With the stairs I have concerns about safety I guess.

Picture 1 shows the cracks in the riser on the second step, and the second step moves up and down when trod on due to the bit missing between the second and third step on the left hand side.

Picture 2 shows the cracks in the overhang of the treads.

Picture 3 shows another crack across the riser.

Picture 4 & 5 shows the cracks across the treads.

I'm not sure if these are dangerous or could I repair them in any way?

I really enjoyed the kitchen worktop project and wondered if I could apply what I learnt to the stairs.

Also could I ask what face protection I should be using for these sorts of jobs please, and would you know how to get rid of black 1930's varnish from skirting boards?

Sorry to ask you so may questions.

Best wishes
Alison

Hi Alison
about the cracks can you access under the stairs so you can see the wedges if any
like i said if theres no rot or worm that be good news
if theres only slight movement with the go and you what to stop movement you could fix a piece of timber to the underside of the go thats if you can access it that crack has more then likely been there for many years
if you are sanding or striping its best to wear a mask and eye protection
Regards
Don

• Appreciate
Steps 2 and 3 seem to have the most problems. When the stair is stepped on the crack seems to open up and the crack/gap comes apart. I'm not sure if this is repairable in anyway or the whole tread needs to be replaced. There doesn't appear to be any woodworm and the rest of the stairs are in good shape. I do have access to the underneath of the staircase.

thumbnail_20240826_152208.jpgthumbnail_20240826_151918.jpgthumbnail_20240826_152005.jpgthumbnail_20240826_151813.jpgthumbnail_20240826_152238.jpgthumbnail_20240826_115339.jpg

Yes maybe that tread needs replacing can be a bit tricky as it is housed into the string on both sides
but like i said it could be strengthed by fitting timber section under the tread supported 2"x1" bearers fitted to the string
using wood glue as well i do say your best bet is to do the repair under the tread as it will be invisible

Yes maybe that tread needs replacing can be a bit tricky as it is housed into the string on both sides
but like i said it could be strengthed by fitting timber section under the tread supported 2"x1" bearers fitted to the string
using wood glue as well i do say your best bet is to do the repair under the tread as it will be invisible
That should be a good plan. Make sure the 1” dimension is to the stair tread and the 2” dimension down. If you can get 21/2” that would be a little stiffer. Make sure you keep good pressure on the stiffener until the wood glue dries.
My personal preference would be to strip the treads and apply a couple of coats of polyurethane stain. We did that 8n a couple of houses, it always looked good and withstood many many small feet running up and down!
Good luck….

Back