• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reid, frederick william

katiesmith24

proper brummie kid
My great grandfather was born in 1878/9 in Birmingham. His full name was Frederick William Reid and he married a Lily Hawker. I have found him on the 1911 census and seen his army records (He died in 1915 in the war). On his army records his next of kin when he joined in 1900 was listed as his father, Thomas William Reid. The address is illegible but I think it is Francis Street, house 14??

I cannot find a Frederick William Reid or Thomas William Reid that matches my enquiries. I applied for a birth certificate which I think is the right one showing a Frederick William Reid born 24/01/1878 to a Thomas William Reid and Sarah Hallett?? at 3, Charles Arthur Street in Duddeston.

I have also found a 'William' Reid on a 1891 census (widowed and born in Fakenham, Surrey) with a son, Frederick which would match them and I thought this was right, but I cannot find any earlier references.

I then tried searching for the marriage of Sarah Hallett and Thomas William Reid around Frederick William Reid's birth date and nothing came up!!

The only definite facts I've got is the 1911 census, Frederick William Reid's marriage certificate and his war records. All list his father as Thomas William so I know that is definitely right, but cannot get any further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Katie

hi katie,

in 1881 at 66 ash street, wolverhampton

john hallett 32 blacksmith b. wolverhampton
mary e hallett 31 b. hereford
charlotte j d hallett 11 b. wolverhampton
mary e hallett 9 b.bham
charles j hallett 6 b.bham
richard h hallett 4 b.bham
albert e hallett 1 b. wolverhampton