• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Raydex Limited

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI EVERY ONE
His There Any body On The Forum , Remember Raydex Ltd
Or Did Any body Work There They Made Alot Of ELECTRICAL cOMPONENTS
Fires, Sockets And Plugs And A Wide Arrange Of Things
I Worked There When I Was A Little Whipper Snapper ,And I Was Operating A
Milling Machine , And A Ward , Capstone Machine Doing The Reaming Of
Components , All For 3 ,Pence And Hour , The Little Threpenny Peice
My Older Brother Whom Was 21 Years Old At The Time , Earning 1/6 p
An Hour On The Electric Maintenance Team , Around The Factory , I Used To Think To Myself In Them Days ,I Wish I Was On That Hourly Rate , But Then When I Look Back In Time , It Was,nt Agreat Deal Of Money In ThemDays Compared To The Austin Rovers Works My Brother Ron , Was An Trained Apprentice Served His Apprentice For In Them Days Five Years ,At The Then
M,E.B Chester Street Aston , The Very First Flood Lights To Go In A Foot ball Club Was The Villa Park , Where The Old MeB Company Whom Installed
Them And He Was One Of The Gang WhomInstalled ThemAt Villa Park, And He Had His Pic Took With The gUYS He Was Working Under , But Getting Back To Raydex Which Was In Edward Rd Of Kink edward Rd And Down By The Old LYRIC Picture House By The Sand Pitts ,Which Now
Next To The ITTC Centre In Brum He Left The Meb And Joined Ray dex Limited There Used To Be A Gate Keeper And If You Was Late More Than 3 ,Minutes Late He Would Lock You Out And You Could,nt Get Into Work
Until The Afternoon Shift Or Vice A Versa , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

HI EVERY ONE
His There Any body On The Forum , Remember Raydex Ltd
Or Did Any body Work There They Made Alot Of ELECTRICAL cOMPONENTS
Fires, Sockets And Plugs And A Wide Arrange Of Things
I Worked There When I Was A Little Whipper Snapper ,And I Was Operating A
Milling Machine , And A Ward , Capstone Machine Doing The Reaming Of
Components , All For 3 ,Pence And Hour , The Little Threpenny Peice
My Older Brother Whom Was 21 Years Old At The Time , Earning 1/6 p
An Hour On The Electric Maintenance Team , Around The Factory , I Used To Think To Myself In Them Days ,I Wish I Was On That Hourly Rate , But Then When I Look Back In Time , It Was,nt Agreat Deal Of Money In ThemDays Compared To The Austin Rovers Works My Brother Ron , Was An Trained Apprentice Served His Apprentice For In Them Days Five Years ,At The Then
M,E.B Chester Street Aston , The Very First Flood Lights To Go In A Foot ball Club Was The Villa Park , Where The Old MeB Company Whom Installed
Them And He Was One Of The Gang WhomInstalled ThemAt Villa Park, And He Had His Pic Took With The gUYS He Was Working Under , But Getting Back To Raydex Which Was In Edward Rd Of Kink edward Rd And Down By The Old LYRIC Picture House By The Sand Pitts ,Which Now
Next To The ITTC Centre In Brum He Left The Meb And Joined Ray dex Limited There Used To Be A Gate Keeper And If You Was Late More Than 3 ,Minutes Late He Would Lock You Out And You Could,nt Get Into Work
Until The Afternoon Shift Or Vice A Versa , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;
I have been trying to find the history of this firm, along with Parker and Osborne who were next to each other on the corner of Scotland Street and Louisa Street. My father worked in Louisa Street and I remember these factories derelict ( late 60s / early 70s. ) I was only a little lad, 5 or 6yo, but trying to satisfy myself that I haven't dreamt it. Time plays tricks on the mind especially when you were 5!

An article about a fire at the premises. Birmingham Post 27/12/68

Attachments

• raydex1.jpg
    raydex1.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 4
  • raydex2.jpg
    raydex2.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 4
This is the only article I can find for Raydex in Birmingham after the fire, I think they were probably bought out and moved to a different area.

Attachments

• RAYDEX-1969.jpg
    RAYDEX-1969.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 3
Belden .
In 2004 Belden took over Raydex and became known as Belden CDT
acquiring all Raydex model numbers and development/production
techniques.

Back