• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Railway Tavern Sutton Coldfield

cal1966

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know if the Railway Tavern in Hackett St Sutton Coldfield is now the Station pub on Station St. I am sure I read somewhere that Station St used to be Hackett St. One of my distant cousins is listed on the 1881 census as Hotel manager of the Railway Tavern. Many thanks.

There seem to have been two pubs in station st. The Railway Inn , and the Station hotel. The Station hotel was the one at 44 Station st, to which you refer. I leave it to you to decide which is your ancestors, but would guess the Railway Inn. Two maps attached, on naming Station hotel, the other naming the Railway Inn

Attachments

• map c 1888 showing railway inn station st.jpg
    map c 1888 showing railway inn station st.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 24
  • map pre 1881 showing station hotel , later 44 station st.jpg
    map pre 1881 showing station hotel , later 44 station st.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 25
On the 1881 census the Railway Tavern and the Station Inn are listed separately. Railway is Fred Wrighton and the Station is William Stent.

Janice

Back