• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Raf ww1 1918

cearnegiant

master brummie
I have absent voters listing for 1918. Henry Ricketts, 10 Apollo Row Charles Henry Street, Not sure what abbriviations mean..148988. 2S of H R.A.F. Think the listing showing served with RAF. Donot know what the abbrivations mean. I think it is important that we honour and find out what our ancestors did during WW1,Any ideas please,,,,,Barry

I don't know if this correct for your ancester barry but I think it relates to H sqn RNAS which was established on 20/8/1918, the RAF was an amalgamation of the RFC (royal flying corps) & RNAS (royal naval air service), although the RAF was instituted in January 1918, various squadrons kept there old alligences. sorry the army is more my thing and I don't known any more but I am sure someone will on the forum.

Barry,

I certainly wouldn't want to argue with Paul, with all his expertise in this period. But I think there may well be other explanations (which I have yet to find!)

My understanding is that the Royal Naval Air Service effectively disappeared after its merger with the Royal Flying Corps which came formally into effect on April 1, 1918 (although there might have been some ongoing activity in relation to armoured cars). I cannot think of any interpretation of your quoted entry other than that the man concerned was at that stage a member of the RAF.

The "2S of H" is an enigma. One thought is that could be an abbreviation of "2nd School of H.....") - in other words, an RAF training establishment - but what the "H" stands for..........??

Just two suggestions:

I wonder if it would be worthwhile your scanning and posting (copyright permitting) the original manuscript entry here to see if any other pairs of eyes can put a different interpretation on it. And second, if you have no joy with it in this forum, this is the place to post your question: https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

Chris

The Absent vote listing surprised me because the man concerned would have been about 48 years of age in 1918. At that age would thought not on active service,Maybe some kind of ground support, He listed on 1911 census Brass caster not in military.So would have thought either called up or joined up during war,being older man given some sort of home front job,

Back