• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queensbridge School Moseley

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
British History Online tells us very little about the school:

QUEENSBRIDGE COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Moseley. Opened 1952 as a M sch. by Birm. C.B.C. Buildings completed 1954.N.o.b. 1961: 860.

Remember programmes for schools ? Of course you had to watch them at the scheduled times, no video recording in those days. Viv.

6F022EC9-7B9B-4702-BFD5-BDC2E71F6520.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Hi Vivienne , I wonder if that was what was commonly known as Moseley Secondary Modern which backed onto Moseley Grammar (where I was from 1969 - 1974)

Not sure Nick. Maybe someone can confirm.

Teachers and students on the slopes.

1E780C81-DFF9-4EEC-976A-673FC0401E9F.jpegB77603B1-8EAA-4818-A40F-7E634FA5444B.jpegFFA43F28-603F-40B7-B0B7-0D1A63868888.jpegE65A668F-B9EF-47F9-885F-3B0A6ABC47F2.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Hi Vivienne , I wonder if that was what was commonly known as Moseley Secondary Modern which backed onto Moseley Grammar (where I was from 1969 - 1974)
Queensbridge School is on the corner of Queensbridge Road Moseley so don't think it has any connection with the two "Moseley" schools which became Moseley Comprehensive. See both sites marked on map
1643649176817.png

Last edited:
Thanks Janice. There are a large number of references to the school as Queensbridge. And the British History Online site makes no link with the Moseley School. So I think it all points to there not being a connection. Viv.

Queensbridge Secondary School, Moseley.
Lovely to read about Queensbridge. As a Curate at St. Mary's, Moseley I used to come into Queensbridge each week from 1968 - 1973 to take assembly - and started the end of term services in St. Mary's when pupils would organise and present their own contributions. If I remember rightly the Head was George ?Eastwood. It was a good school, except for one thing - they were still believers on corporal punishment - although in one or two cases I tried to put the case for two boys NOT to be caned -to no avail. I remember the 5th. form week's conferences every year after summer exams - and the time Radio 1 came to Queensbridge to do a Pop programme with a young DJ called Tony Blackburn. It all brings back happy memories. Best wishes to all former pupils who were there! (Rev) Jim Hobbs (Now 79 years old!)

Maybe someone went to this Welsh mountain site as part of the Duke of Edinburgh scheme
Screenshot_20240109_153137_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Back