• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queens Corner New Street

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
O

O.C.

I put this photo on before but I have deleted it as I called It Corporation St........so here is the correct info
Photo shows Queens Corner on the far right leading into Corporation St.

Going Down New Street.......Cannon St is the first turning on the right
Queens Corner was situated on the corner of New St & Corporation St (see name top right) it commemorated the visit of Queen Victoria to Brum in 1887

Attachments

• City New St - Corporation St (4).JPG
    City New St - Corporation St (4).JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier pic that the one above.... New Street to the left and High St to the right (due to be demolished)1868

Attachments

• City High St - New St 1868.JPG
    City High St - New St 1868.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Cromwell. I especially liked the New Street/High Street one in 1868 - no traffic and few people, so quiet.....

Thanks for the pics Cromwell. I had not seen the second one before. I recognize the King Edward Grammar School on the left hand side of the photo.
That High Street/New Street site seems to have had many changes over the years including the destruction by Hitler's bombs in WW2. The other photo of the Corporation Street/New Street...Queen's Building is super. That building style was copied the world over. I hope it remains there
for many more years. I remember when part of it was the offices of The Birmingham Mail. There are some excellent original woods and fittings in that building. It must be a heritage building I would imagine.

Back