• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Purcell & Betts photographers

Phoebe

Half a Brummie
I'm trying to date a photograph from the Purcell & Betts studio, and wonder if anyone knows when they were at "224 Park Lane, Nr Aston Cross".

All the references I can find to this studio have the Aston Road North address. Would the Park Lane address be pre-1909?

they were in Aston Road North address 1908 and Park lane 1905
I don't have a Kelly's between these years they were in Park lane for a few years I will see if I can go back a bit further tomorrow

Thanks, that was quick! I thought it must be earlier because of the style of dress.

they moved into Park Lane between 1900 and 1903 they were opposite the Gospel Hall in the big houses lying back off the road that's all I have

John,
On the PICKARDS PINK PAGES GENEOLOGY OF WARWICKSHIRE there is a whole list of Birmingham photo studios, and they are listed Aston Rd. 1909.

Thanks, that was one of the sources I found, but it was the Park Lane dates I wanted to establish as that is the address on the photo. I would have posted it, but my scanner's playing up.

I'm trying to date a photograph from the Purcell & Betts studio, and wonder if anyone knows when they were at "224 Park Lane, Nr Aston Cross".

All the references I can find to this studio have the Aston Road North address. Would the Park Lane address be pre-1909?
I have found a photo in a box at my parents, taken by Purcell & Betts and the photo number is 56022-c
My mom has passed away and my dad doesn’t recognise anyone in it. Has anyone any idea how or if I could find out anything from this number?

I've also some good family photographs - on postcards - taken by Purcell and Betts 57 Aston Road, North Aston Manor. Does anyone know who these photographers were and when they closed their studio/s and when they died?

Back