• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pugh Road Aston

A

aslan

Hi guys this is my first post and I am glad to be here.
Can any help? Would like to get to know those of you who were in or around Aston 1956 onwards......... or who attended Manor Park Secondary school arouind 1960/61

thanks Steve.

Aslan, Welcome to a great site.
If you type 'Pugh' in the search box on the blue line top of the page, you will find links on the forum to Member's post about living in or around Pugh Rd.
Feel free to add any memories you may have about your experiences of the area.

Pom :angel:

Lived at 5/37 Pugh Road until about 1958 went to Aston Manor and the annexe in Church Lane as well.

I was born in pugh road in 1944 and lived there for 22yrs till i married a girl from vicarage road sept 66 i have lots of memories of shops people in our road ,the pallasades where we used swing on railing peter smith 48, pugh road aston 1944/66

Pete being cheeky but what is the girls name you married only a lot of my friends lived either in Pugh or Vicarage road?. Oh by the way I married a Pete Smith too. Jean.

a bit more imfo about PUGH ROAD if anyones interested shops,from top marriotts sweet shop, bentleys outdoor M and Bs ,Hutchinsons clothes toyshop who ran achristmas club next to big entry. then you had Styles grocery,sweet shop. we lived right opposite.the we had little pink parfin shop owened by our grandmother. next we had dolly lucas's greengrocers,then after that was donnerleys another grocers. next we had norburys coal yard with their little black coaltrucks with red wheels and their name in white letters. at the end of the we had barbers outdoor ANSELLS ,and opposite there was mcleods newsagents where weall waited on a saturday at 6 30 for the sports argus ,some namesfrom the road, BENTONS,HARTLEYS, EVANS,BOYLES,HITCHENS,LUCAS, CROSSES,CHESHIRES,HOLMES, CLIVES,BALLS,GARDNERS,HOPKINS,STYLES, PASSEYS,TAYLORS,KNIGHTS who went aussieland .last of all the SMITHS some of my memorys

I lived in Pugh Road till I was 5, 3/41 was the number, not sure how old I was moving in but I remember the 3 steps down into the front room, outside toilets and I'm pretty sure the family across from us were Aston's, Tracey Aston was about my age I think. We moved out in 1970 to Newtown. My surname was Dignam, my mother was a nurse.

My Grandad was born at 10 Pugh road Aston Manor in 1899. Richard Osborne. But when i look at the map it looks like 10 is units now. Does anyone know if 10 used to be a house, or know anything about it?

Osborne
The area was rebuilt in the 1960s and the buildings there have little relatiionship to those before. The online electoral rolls (only some are online and not available online pre 1912) show it as a house with a single household in 1912

I see the Coal Yard on Pugh Road mentioned here a few times.
It was run by my mother's aunt (my great aunt) Dinah Norbury, who was Dinah Bates after marrying Harry Bates, a Canadian. Dinah's brother Thomas Norbury actually lived at the coal yard. Dinah lived just over the road, next door to my grandparents.
My grandparents were Dinah and Thomas Norbury's sister Ruby, who married my Grandfather Robert "Bob" Fisher.
My mother is Victoria Fisher who had two brothers, David and Kenny. They all lived on Pugh Road but I remember by the time Granma Ruby died in 1970 Uncle David was already living in London.
My late father Robert Wardle married mom and we all temporarily lived on Pugh Road when I was born in 1963.
We then moved to Hockley.
Dinah and Tom Norbury moved to Chelmsley Wood in the early 70's (I think ) when the old houses were demolished.
My parents had already moved to Chelmsley Wood in 1968.
My grandfather remarried and moved to a street just by the HP sauce factory.
I'd love to upload pictures but my mother lost all hers in a house move, and I lost touch with Dinah and Tom a couple of years before they passed.
As a child I remember Donnelly's shop, and the outdoor where I bought KVE scrtachings.
Also a block of garages at the end of the street where I was told a wartime bomb had dropped.

It was run by my mother's aunt (my great aunt) Dinah Norbury, who was Dinah Bates after marrying Harry Bates, a Canadian. Dinah's brother Thomas Norbury actually lived at the coal yard. Dinah lived just over the road, next door to my grandparents.
My grandparents were Dinah and Thomas Norbury's sister Ruby, who married my Grandfather Robert "Bob" Fisher.
My mother is Victoria Fisher who had two brothers, David and Kenny. They all lived on Pugh Road but I remember by the time Granma Ruby died in 1970 Uncle David was already living in London.
My late father Robert Wardle married mom and we all temporarily lived on Pugh Road when I was born in 1963.
Dinah and Tom Norbury moved to Chelmsley Wood in the early 70's (I think ) when the old houses were demolished.
I'd love to upload pictures but my mother lost all hers in a house move, and I lost touch with Dinah and Tom a couple of years before they passed.
As a child I remember Donnelly's shop, and the outdoor where I bought KVE scrtachings.
Also a block of garages at the end of the street where I was told a wartime bomb had dropped.
I lived at no.88 Pugh Road near Tommy's coalyard.
He had a dog called Sandie

Hi Rob, myself and my husband found this forum online when looking for info on Pugh road and my husband couldn’t believe all the info you gave above. My husbands name is Tony Johnson (born Antony 1964) his Nan was May Norbury- Ruby’s sister. He remembers the coal yard etc. and by your info that would make you cousins!

Hi Rob, myself and my husband found this forum online when looking for info on Pugh road and my husband couldn’t believe all the info you gave above. My husbands name is Tony Johnson (born Antony 1964) his Nan was May Norbury- Ruby’s sister. He remembers the coal yard etc. and by your info that would make you cousins!
Have answered this but might have gone via Pm, let me know if you got it

Back