• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs in Key Hill

m.humphreys

master brummie
My mother in law kept a couple of pubs in Key Hill, must have been a kiss of death as when she left them both were demolished so if anyone has any pics of the Abbey Tavern or the Little Abbey as it was known and also the Bulls Head on the corner of Key Hill and Icknield St. it would be nice to see them again.

This is the best one I have.

Terry

Attachments

• Hockley Key Hill Bulls Head.JPG
    Hockley Key Hill Bulls Head.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 35
There is this one from a distance, looking up Key Hill. Sorry, I dont have any of the Abbey Tavern. There was an Abbey Vaults on the corner of Park Rd / Lodge Rd. You did'nt mean that one did you?

Terry

Attachments

• Key Hill - Lodge Road Hockley.jpg
    Key Hill - Lodge Road Hockley.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Terry, those are great photos - do you know what dates they were taken? On the second one, are those army trucks? and are the trees that you can see in Key Hill Cemetery?
Polly

I have'nt a clue to the date, probably the 50's sometime,the first one I have no idea,and yes I think the trees must be the cemetery. They were the only trees about for miles when I lived down that way:D I can't remember where the photos came from, could have been off this site.

Terry

Great photo Terry the large white building opposite the trees is the Gem Building and still there.

Here's the Gem Building now. It seems to be used by musicians and groups for practice now:).

Attachments

• gem.JPG
    gem.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
Thats a good photo Wendy. The building looks in good condition and seems to be put to good use. What are the little buildings to the right? They seem interesting - as do a lot of the old buildings round there.

I have tried to make out the name above the door on the Bulls Head photo with no success. Anybody with a decent program that could try?

Terry

One more of the Bulls Head. Thats me lot I think. I'm sure someone posted this pic on this site somewhere. Shows off the trees better.

Terry

There is this one from a distance, looking up Key Hill. Sorry, I dont have any of the Abbey Tavern. There was an Abbey Vaults on the corner of Park Rd / Lodge Rd. You did'nt mean that one did you?

Terry

Thanks for the pics Terry, the two Abbeys were known locally as the big Abbey ( Abbey Vaults ) and little Abbey ( Abbey Tavern ) the little Abbey was only licensed to sell beer, no wines or spirits. It was just behind Nortons on the corner of Key Hill and Icknield St.

Thats a good photo Wendy. The building looks in good condition and seems to be put to good use. What are the little buildings to the right? They seem interesting - as do a lot of the old buildings round there.
The building to the right is the post office still in use and very busy!

The building to the right is the post office still in use and very busy!
Sorry I meant the left :D don't tell Mikegee - he already had to change one of my posts because I mixed up my rights and lefts :D
But anyway - I'm glad I did because I didn't know there was a post office on Key Hill.
So what are the ones on the left with the pointed gables?
Polly :)

The Post Office is on Hockley Hill and the buildings that you mention are the sorting offices. The entrance to the yard for the P.O.vans was between those buildings and Browns warehouse on Key Hill.

Back in the 50's when I was living down there, I am sure there used to be a cycle track somewhere near the P.O. about halfway up Key Hill on the left. I seem to remember going down a path and the track was at the back of some buildings. I don't think it was used for competitive races just for practice. Could be wrong though. Can anyone confirm this?

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Terry And Wendy
nice picture of the bull going back abit in the fiftys that was one of our drinkng dens my two mates and myself
was ,nt a bad pint theonly problem in those days was the out side toilet for men after afew in the smoke room you had to walk around the corner where you see the belisha crossing in the picture you see a little figure of a lady
emediately behind her where the black door is is was an open entry door ay no door on it thou
thats where the men had to go rain or snowing ,it was bad either weather rain or snow you got wet standing there as some one else as said it was the abbey vaults along the flat with the off licence on the corner of ford st
just past the valts on the hill was the little fireman pub ,then the hydralic on the next side up oppersite scribbonas bakery
wendy regarding the white building up from the bull was yes indeed later became a building for music
and orinionaly UB40 bought the building and tranformed it to there head qaurters and started to do there rcording there way back then and if i remember it correctly on the oppersite corner to the bull on the corner
by the crossing was pooles furtiture shop and you correctly said he sorting office and the post office around on the corner
best wishes to you all and thank you all for the memory of yester years , Astonian ;;;;;

Hi Astonian, I've been in a few pubs where there was an outside toilet. As you say if it was raining it was a pain. At least you had an excuse if your shoes got wet:D. Did'nt the Tilt Hammer down Saltley used to have outside toilets years back?

Terry

hi terry
yes indeed they certainly did indeed the bull was better toilets and cleaner
and you had abit of light to see what you was doing [ get my drift ]
i did not care to much for the tilt i spent alot of time up he rock ; but mainlyin the old jig saw
night club but i would never use there toilets either do you remeber the jig saw club
it was the old picture house down the rock ASTONIAN,;;;

if you type in VARIOUS PUBS IN HOCKLEY/NEWTOWN. in the search box .you will find that i have posted lots of pics of pubs in these areas..meanwhile here is the bulls head and the abbey vaults...

lyn:)

Hi Astonian, I've been in a few pubs where there was an outside toilet. As you say if it was raining it was a pain. At least you had an excuse if your shoes got wet:D. Did'nt the Tilt Hammer down Saltley used to have outside toilets years back?

Terry

Here is the outside gents toilet on Key Hill it is bricked up now but can be seen from above in the corner of the cemetery.

following on from wendy..i took these pics of the gents a couple of years back...really hope that they are preserved and not demolished..

lyn:)

Would it be possible to send the photo of the Abbey Tavern again as I cannot find it. Might be my stubby fingers causing the problem.
My ancestor Paul Newis and his wife Harriet ran the Abbey tavern in 1867. Any information on this would be appreciated.

hi terry was it on post 21 made by myself..ive got it as the abbey vaults not tavern although it must have been called that before..not your stubby fingers..the forum was hacked into last year and we lost all of our images and we are trying to repost them asap and by request

lyn

Back