• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Public baths for washing near Winson Green, 1950s/60s

RogFromBrum

knowlegable brummie
As a child growing up in Heath Street, Winson Green, and living in a house with no bathroom, in the late 1950s and early 1960s I used to go to a public baths about once a week for a bath (whether I was dirty or not!).

Does anyone know if there were public baths in Heath Street itself, or would the closest ones have been the Rolfe Street Baths, which were demolished in 1989 and then rebuilt at the Black Country Museum?

I lived in the 'short section' of Heath Street, between Winson Green Road and Dudley Road, and the baths were a short walk away, or so it seemed at the time.

Thanks

My husband was born on Heath Street and used those baths too, they were "just past Winson Green Road" if that makes sense! (He was having his nap when I woke him to ask!)
rosie.

Thanks, Rosie! Just past Winson Green Road makes sense now I think about it. Sorry your husband had his nap disturbed! He must be a similar age to me as that's what I do most afternoons! :)
Roger

Back