• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PTE William (Thomas) BUTWELL, Worcestershire Regiment

MILLS

master brummie
Here's a challenge for you sleuths.

For about 2 years, on and off, I have been trying to trace the above soldier in the 1901 Census, but to no avail.

He is also known as Thomas William and just William or Wm.

So he was born on 3 August, 1887, in Birmingham. Father, William and Mother Julia. Lived at Court 18, No.5 Springfield St. Rotton Park, Ladywood on 1891 Census. Enlisted into Worcestershire Regiment 18 June, 1906 and on 1911 Census shown in Bareilly, India in 4th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment. Went to France, 26 August, 1914. Wounded in late 1914, shrapnel to right forearm and as a result was discharged 31 March,1916. On his pension records he is living at 3/54 Garbett St. Ladywood, married.
He married Gertrude Maud Beresford on 22 August, 1915, soldier living at 83, Garbett St. She died Q1, 1922. Living at 3/53 Garbett St. until her death.
On 4 August, 1923 he remarried. Marrying Beatrice Louise Butwell nee Chinn, who was his late brothers wife, William Arthur Butwell , who was killed serving with the RWF in 1915.
In 1939 Census with his wife and 3 children he's living at 37, Hopton Grove, Birmingham.
He dies in May,1948 and is buried in Brandwood End Cemetry.

So any help in tracing him and his family on the 1901 Census would be greatly appreciated.

David

William Arthur's birth is reg in 1884 with mmn Green.
Thomas Butwell with mmn Green is registered in 1886.

In 1901 the family - William and Julia with children William, Thomas, Louisa, Rose and Emily - are incorrectly listed as Butterwell, living on Tower St.
MWS,
That's amazing! I have searched around the name Butwell and it never occurred to use Butterwell. Did you search using ALL the family members?
Thank you again for completing my record.
David

I checked for children of William and Julia and seeing that they appeared to have them in Birmingham either side of 1901, I assumed that they were likely to be there

Emily was the last one born prior to 1901, so I searched for Emilys b1900ish in Bham. There were quite a few but adding Rose as a household member, narrowed it down and Butterwell was amongst them.

MWS,
Great detective work. Would never have thought to do that!
Even after I used the name of Butterwell on Ancestry I still didn't get the hit, it was only in Findmypast that it came up.
Thank you again. As usual either you or Janice come up trumps.
David

For similar situations I find findmypast simpler..

On Ancestry they seem to be listed as Butterwick.

From the 1911 census its known that 14 children born to William and Julia Butwell of which 11 had died (at this time 1911). We can name five (William, Thomas, Rose, Louisa and Emily) from census details (1891 and 1901) plus 1 Harry from baptism record (1897 died aged 0). Can any of the other children be identified?

Peter

Can see 6 other Butwell/Green children...

John 1888 - 1888, Walter 1892 - 1894, Ethel 1893 - 1893, Frank 1895 - 1895, Richard 1902 - 1902, Bernard 1904 - 1905,

Back