• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte WE Savill

johndavies

master brummie
My great uncle was not a Birmingham man but I would be grateful for some advice on how I could find out more about him. I have been extremely lucky in tracing my mothers ancestry back to 1652 and I now wish to find some background information on certain members of the tree.
He is commemorated on the CWGC site thus

PrivateTT/0144209/11/1917 UnknownArmy Veterinary CorpsUnited KingdomEast boundary.WROTHAM (ST. GEORGE) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

I know the whole family were agricultural workers, perhaps the reason why he was posted to the Army Vets Corps and the grave in Wrotham suggests he was actually buried rather than commemorated there.

Is there any way I can find out about the circumstances of his death?
I realise this is a long shot but any snippets of information would be very much appreciated.

Name:William Ernest Savill
Birth Place:Otford, Kent
Residence:Aylesbury
Death Date:9 Nov 1917
Regiment:Royal Army Veterinary Corps
Number:TT/01442
Type of Casualty: D:D:D:Died
Theatre of War:Brough - Sic

As he died in this country, ('Brough - sic' appears in several Ancestry.com based searches for military deaths at home, as does 'Aldershot'.) there should be a certificate for him, I thought.
So after a bit of a search, there is:
Savill, William E, age 33, 4th quarter 1917 Winchester volume 2c page 148

Send off for that certificate and it should give cause of death.

Wrotham, Kent civic war memorial was dedicated on 5 August 1923, at which time twenty six of those who died in the Great War, were commemorated on it by name. Following the cessation of the hostilities of the Second World War, an additional thirteen casualties of that war were then added. Since the accompanying photographs were taken for inclusion here, the Wrotham war memorial has been completely refurbished, and an addition thirteen names of Great War casualties have now been added. During the annual Service of Rememberance, conducted by the Reverend Brenda Hurd on Sunday 11 November 2007, the war memorial was re-dedicated. Clearly Wrotham is a Kent parish that truly remembers the sacrifices made by its former parishioners, and is an excellent example of what can be archived with dedication and commitment by all involved in the project.

and among the list of those remembered:

SAVILLE, WILLIAM ERNEST. Private, TT/01442.
Army Veterinary Corps.
Died 9 November 1917.
Born Otford, Sevenoaks, Kent. Enlisted Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
Buried Wrotham, Sevenoaks, Kent (St. George) Cemetery Extension.
Grave Ref: East boundary.

Back